Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im bored with the dull shape of (most) neos and im looking for more (for lack of a better term) pointy broms. but where to start?

of course anything im looking for needs to be viv suitable. i dont want to get a beautiful new brom only to have it melt away. i need at least some to hold water. and i have some size constraints. at the moment, the largest brom i could reasonably fit in a tank would be 8-10 inches in diameter.

also, i actually like the more "dull" colored broms. they have a nice natural look to me.

so, ive been looking at Vriesia and Aechmea, but i know there are some more specific answers out there.

btw, i have to give credit to this thread for sparking the idea to create one of these for myself:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/72094-help-me-select-broms.html#post633565

antone; please post some sweet pics of options like you did for beth ;)

thanks,
james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great!
mature size? special requirements?

the tank does have a circulation fan that creates a VERY gentle flow of air.

and i know he's not. he just seems to post a lot of really spectacular pics ;)

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope. its just not what im looking for. i will probably use some tillandsias in this build, but im looking for something that can accept water standing in it.

they are for a tank w/ egg feeders, so at least one brom has to hold water.

james

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i know very little about frogs, except what I read on dendroboard, so you don't want my help ;-) I'll pick by dull color and pointyness only.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Neoregalia mooreana and Vriesa vagans are two sexy bromeliads I would love to get ahold of someday. I'm not a fan of real gaudy hybrid neo cultivars either, I've been trying to pick up species neos. I have N. dungsiana, N. punctassima, and they aren't terribly generic-looking, and true liliputiana coming next week.JVK

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
How about Vriesea erythodactylon, the small form with the black stem bases? I've used it with good success.

Ed

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
V. lubbserii
small plant suitable for viv
btw antones not the only brom guy on forum
Just an FYI, I don't sell them anymore so you gots nothing to worry about. I think my name is synonymous with bromeliads bc of the 5k+ posts I have at this point, 4k of them are probably brom posts. :D

James, your request is definitely something I've encountered before. There a couple of problems though...

1. Neoregelias are popular bc it's almost like they were purpose built for our needs. No other genus in the bromeliad family has more terrarium compatible plants.

2. Many of the other genera that DO contain terrarium suitable plants are hard to find and when you do, they ain't cheap!

Now, lemme see here... Looks like everyone else mentioned many of the ones I might have suggested. I think V racinae is a touchy viv brom. It seems to catch fungal infections easily. If you can let it get some air flow (which I believe you said you could) it would do amazing things for you. :)

I agree with Ed, V erythrodactylon 'Mini' works wonders. It's perfect for Escudo btw.

V vagans is prob my fav Vriesea and does great. Just obtain healthy stock bc some clones floating around out there are weak.

Guzmania lingulata 'Mini' is another good one...

I think some of the Racinaea plants would be great to try. Especially R crispa. Problem is they are rare, expensive and touchy.

There is a genus of bromeliads that I believe would be worth trying that i have never had the chance to do, Lymania. This genus contains some AWESOME plants many of which are from similar climates as our vivs. I don't have any pics so you'll have to hit the FCBS for that one.

Hope this helps some.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts