·
Registered
19,322 Posts
And isn't that uncommon..

·
Registered
851 Posts
Where's the backflip? All I saw was it sort of half roll on it's side. :(
Sheesh, a little harsh there Mitch? Do you have any videos of your frogs performing gymnastics that better demonstrate a ninja backflip?

The guy has 4 posts and was just sharing a video.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Sometimes with larger anurans, hits into the side or top of the enclosure result in damage to the frog (resulting in a tilt to the head) that causes somersaulting or flipping behavior in the frogs. Normally I avoid videos like this but I figured I would check it out to see if the frog had the damage. On opening the video, it was labeled as an "epic" flip indicating unusual or extreme behavior. It was neither (see below). If a person doesn't want the truth, then they shouldn't post it up for responses. Not all responses to a post on a forum have to be of the WOW! GOLLY GEE WHILIKERS BATMAN! variety...

It isn't that uncommon of a behavior for a ranid or ranid type that feels insecure and threatened in it's enviroment as it was used to enable the frog to rapidly retreat back to the percieved safety of the hide. The frog would be unlikely to have that behavior if it had a enviroment that provided the frog with a greater amount of security.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah, im ok with all responses. About the insecurity part, maybe it's cuz i took out the java moss the day before.Either way, I never saw it do something like this before, so I thought it was quite interesting.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
nah, im ok with all responses. About the insecurity part, maybe it's cuz i took out the java moss the day before.Either way, I never saw it do something like this before, so I thought it was quite interesting.
If you recently disrupted the enclosure (removing the moss) then that could explain the behavioral issues. Ideally with these frogs, you want to have something they can hide in/under and can retreat to quickly. If they don't feel secure these frogs can launch themselves if they feel threatened or are spooked right into the side/top of the tank. This impact can be enough to seriously damage the frog or kill it.

You want to provide some form of over hanging cover that the frog can position itself under/in for security. If you have access to old Reptiles Magazines, there was an article that showed a bullfrog exhibit that should give you some good ideas.

You may want to remove the gravel as the frog can accidently ingest it and have issues from the gravel.

Are you dusting the crickets with a supplement before feeding them to the frog?

Reactions: Mitch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you recently disrupted the enclosure (removing the moss) then that could explain the behavioral issues. Ideally with these frogs, you want to have something they can hide in/under and can retreat to quickly. If they don't feel secure these frogs can launch themselves if they feel threatened or are spooked right into the side/top of the tank. This impact can be enough to seriously damage the frog or kill it.

You want to provide some form of over hanging cover that the frog can position itself under/in for security. If you have access to old Reptiles Magazines, there was an article that showed a bullfrog exhibit that should give you some good ideas.

You may want to remove the gravel as the frog can accidently ingest it and have issues from the gravel.

Are you dusting the crickets with a supplement before feeding them to the frog?
yep, would sand be ok to use instead?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sand should be able to be passed quite easily, BUT, is a pain to keep clean with such a heavy waste producer. Easiest thing to use would just be no substrate in the water area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts