Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just acquired two Nikita tincs that are in awesome condition (very fat and active), but one does not seem to be feeding as well; actually I haven't really seen either eat, but I suspect its b/c I load the vivarium w/D. melanoganser and they have constant access to food. I just had a citronella pass away due to starvation; he would hunt constantly, but never catch any food (I tried 4 different food sources), and I'm paranoid the same thing is going to happen. I've only had them since Saturday, and they're in a well planted 10 gall tank. They were estimated to be about 6 months old. Could one be stressing the other? I've never seen any aggression, sometimes they sit next to each other, but most of the time now one hides while the other makes use of it's space. I'm setting up a 20 long later today, do you think I should separate them, or would the larger vivarium do the trick? I was also worried that maybe the ff are too small, I put pinheads in, but I didn't see either actually eat any, but they did both hunt. Should I try bean beetles?

Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sounds like they may be a bit stressed due to overfeeding. If they are new they will need a few days to acclimate. If they are 6 months old a few days not eating wont kill them. Watch them to see if their losing any weight. i wouldnt touch the tank for a day or two to eliminate any extra stress. Then feed a small amount and see if they eat.
Some questions i have:
you say your Citronella died of starvation?? how can you tell? are the Nikita in the same tank as the Citro were in?

Temps??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed he starved due to some physical abnormality. He was skin and bones when he died. I had him for a month and from the time I got him he was a terrible hunter; constantly missing food; following it around, but never actually trying to catch it; or getting distracted from one fly by another passing fly. The new frogs are in the same viv as the old, but it has been empty for a month. Do you think it would be a bad idea to put them in a new, larger viv today or tomorrow?

Thanks again

·
Registered
483 Posts
Be sure you are dusting their food with vitamin and calcium supplement and replace every 6 months as the powder oxidizes and "goes bad".

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you didn't know for sure what killed the Citronella, you shouldn't have utilized the tank without tearing it down, sterilizing it, and then rebuilding it. There may be something in it that contributed to the death that is contagious. The "starving to death" look could simply be due to a vitamin deficiency that effects the stickiness of the tongue and severly limits the frogs ability to catch prey. But, it also could be something such as parasites which would be in the soil of the viv and contagious to the new frogs.

Also...I wouldn't put them in a larger viv now. If they are infected with anything, they will carry it with them. Your best bet is to have them go through a series of fecals before moving them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts