Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up 3 Nigricans last night. I don't see much about them on here. I'm guessing that they're not "rare" because of the price I got them for (3 for $65) And I didn't think about the possibility that they are WC. Any info or insight would be appreciated.

Brian

·
Banned
851 Posts
I believe 300 were imported this year i know that at least 88 were so they are probably imports.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Brian,

I've had a group of 5 for about a year now that I picked up last summer WC. In my experience they are very hard to come by and I would love to know where you picked up yours. They are very particular eaters and it may take some time for them to settle in.

Steve

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a local pet store around here, in Plaistow, NH. I always check the frog section and they had a tank labeled "Red and Green Mantellas" $24.99 each. I saw the "red" ones, which not knowing much about mantellas, looked like ones that I had seen on here before, so I asked to see the "green" ones. I thought they might be "pulchra" or "madagascarenies" (sp?) and I picked the green ones. Not figuring out that they were Nigricans until I got home. He gave me 3 for $65.
I went back last night and got the red ones, which are ebenaui.

They went right after wingless melano's that I gave them.

I asked the guy to find out where they came from and that I would take more nigricans if he could get them.

Brian

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
That's how I lost my group of six nigricans-- they didn't seem to like the foods I offered (even termites) and they slowly wasted away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have no problem with feeders as well.
Tho, i had to treat them for lungflukes.
Might be the problem why they were not taking up food.
One was verry badly infected, and refused eating as well.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
lungflukes? Interesting. Is that what the veterinarian said? I never had a chance to run a fecal on my nigricans, so that is a possibility.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, one frog seemed to get bloated.
So i put it apart, taking a feces sample of it and to check the rest i got the feces of 2 other random nigricans.
They all turned out to be infected by the worms.
Treatment subscribed to me was levamisole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
they are known to be really hard to breed. Im giving a try :p but for the moment, i've just heard a male (or more) croaking. Im still waiting eggs :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice find on the nigricans! def not a common mantella. my mantellas have been in captivity for a while now but, they would eat till they popped if I let them... Stemcellular what mantellas are you working with?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
just so you guys know, nigricans is genetically identical to baroni, like azureus is to tinctorius. For now though, researchers are still calling nigricans a separate species but that may eventually change.

The mads we have may be more than one species.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts