Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Redheads going well so I needed a new challenge so here it is!

This is the male - unfortunately the flash has washed out the colour somewhat.

Oophaga sylvatica 'Whitefoot'

I need to get a decent shot of the female who appears to be gravid at the moment. I've had them several months, they were a young CB 'suspected' pair which lucily turned out to be correct. The female has laid but nothing came from the clutch. I have a deep layer of magnolia and other tropical leaves in their viv and this is where the eggs where deposited. I have just finished refurbishing their viv adding a few more suitable broms.
This is def one species that in my opinion benefit from 'field plankton'. Hopefully this feeder diversity will help towards succesful breeding soon.
As soon as I get a decent photo of the female I'll update the thread.

Regards
Graham

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
dirty bastard. Im super jealous! Good luck with them, you obviously have the touch

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Man that's a hot frog.....JEALOUS!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Very nice, you know your just asking for Fred to come back........I havent seen a nicer frog posted here. Lucky man.

Michael

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! To be honest the photos just don't do them justice - they are such stunning frogs in real life.

here's a photo of their viv - sorry about the reflection - I'll get some better shots when I have a minute - you can see the deep leaf litter at the back. The viv is a 50cm cube.

Here's another shot of the male that shows his colour better.

and finally a shot of the female 'peeping' out from her jungle pod. She has a lot less black marbling than the male.

Enjoy!
Regards
Graham

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You bastard... This is just about my dream.... Thanks for showing me how pathetic my frog collection is :p

·
Registered
359 Posts
Graham, thanks for sharing! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Stunning frogs, thanks for sharing. Good luck breeding them, I'd love to see more of these!
Bryan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well. I'm officially moving to Europe.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rock work looks very natural because it is very natural - why compete with mother nature when she does it so well! I collected the stones from the stream that runs by our cottage and placed them in a similar pattern in the viv as I found them.

The background on this viv is 2 inch polystyrene sheet 'landscaped' by picking out areas to give an overall variation in depth and then painted black (using non toxic acrylic paint). It works just the same as foam but much easier to work as you can do all the work outside of the viv and just fix it on with silicone when it's finished. Then its really easy to push brom stolons and other decor into it.

Regards
Graham

·
Registered
915 Posts
Utterly beautiful Graham,ha and the viv too,nice to see them at last. when we last talked you spoke of making adjustments for them could you ellucidate for me?Are these related to Marc's? As i have been fortunate enough to stand in wonderment watching those. although they seem a touch darker red is that the camera playing tricks? One day when i have done enough graft and homework one day,we'll do right by these much to learn much to do but one day!!!
belucky mate
Stu

·
Registered
915 Posts
Oh Graham you all ready know i utilise a lot of wild grub could you give details on your methods of harvest please
thanks again
Stu

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Stu,
no these are unrelated to Marc's - we already have that sorted once we have breeding underway and your right about the colour - mine are blood red too but the camera never gets their colour right.
Viv wise it was tweaking leaf litter areas, hides and adding more broms.

Wild food is collected using standard invert sampling methods
Trees and shrubs - beating tray.
Grassland - sweep net.
Standing and fallen deadwood - pooter.

I also sometimes collect any suitable coleoptera if I've been moth trapping overnight.

Regards
Graham

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i expect they would command prices at or above $1500ea USD (due to their rarity in the US and their distribution in their native range) so you'd need a LOT of anthonyi ;)

this is without question my absolute favorite amphibian. its incredibly stunning, and the specimens with higher amounts of white are even more spectacular.

keep up the good work and PLEASE get these breeding!

james

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well. I'd better go tell mine to start getting to work. haha. Not far from having an army of them to take over the world! hahaha. Are there sylvaticas in the US?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts