Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 bumble bee toads, but have wanted a salamander or newt...

I know i have another thread but this is different.

What is the "best" in your opinion?
-species

where to buy?

·
Registered
781 Posts
"best" is a broad and subjective term...

Tell us a little more about what your looking for, what size and type of enclosure you can provide etc...

Do you want something you"ll see or something that stays burrowed?
Do you want something active during the day or at night?
Do you want something terrestrial or aquatic or half and half?
How large of a tank can you provide?
How cool can you keep the temperatures?

·
Registered
747 Posts
You are located in Colorado so you have the ability to very easily regulate temps and give proper cool dormancies during the winter, proper conditions for spring/fall activities, and even for summer aestivation. Salamanders are really not as hard to keep as many people think. Most species do very well in captivity. All you need to do is decide what species you want to keep and whether you can actually get it, then do the research necessary to have success. A majority of species can simply be kept in plastic shoe boxes with great success. I always prefered to keep mine in 10 to 20 gals, but I have bred some species in plastic shoe boxes. I made a post with pictures of many species that I used to keep on another thread. Here is the link. check it out

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/newts-salamanders/70795-pacific-giant-salamanders.html

I have successfully kept all of the species shown as well as many others for years. If you have questions about anything, feel free to contact me.

Josh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want something you"ll see or something that stays burrowed? Something ill see
Do you want something active during the day or at night? either
Do you want something terrestrial or aquatic or half and half? not aquatic
How large of a tank can you provide? 20l or 75
How cool can you keep the temperatures? around 70

·
Registered
747 Posts
Do you want something you"ll see or something that stays burrowed? Something ill see
Do you want something active during the day or at night? either
Do you want something terrestrial or aquatic or half and half? not aquatic
How large of a tank can you provide? 20l or 75
How cool can you keep the temperatures? around 70
Thats easy. As I recommended already, some type of plethodontid salamander. Many of the eastern US species can easily tolerate temps into the low/mid 80's for short periods. Aniedes lugubris, being from california down into mexico and the dry coastal islands, can tolerate temps into the upper 80's and possibly even pushing low low 90's and survive. They are very dry tolerant as well. And fortunately, there is a guy that captive breeds them. I would suggest you get onto caudata.org and do some research.

JOsh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts