Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some feedback on my newly planted 36x18x18. I used the plant kit and background kit from NEHerps. There are three hiding areas, a piece of cork bark up against the cork tube on the left side and two more cave like hides on the right side...it's a bit hard to make them out in the photo. I tried to keep most of the ground leaf litter but do have two moss paths and moss on some of the cork bark. The light is Spectral Designs. I would appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
108 Posts
I think it looks great! I look forward to following your progress as the plant get established.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks awesome! What kind of animals is it for?

One idea - you could add some broms in some of the "empty" spaces on the back wall.

Also - is that cling film up top on the vents? I would suggest replacing that with a thin sheet of acrylic or ABS if you're worried about it blowing away; or a sheet of silicone (making sure it's aired out).

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
108 Posts
Yes, a brom or 2 would be a nice addition. Maybe Cryptanthus or Neoregelia to start out?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Honestly, I would completely remove all the terrestrial moss including the moss on top of the cork. It serves basically no use in dart frog keeping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks awesome! What kind of animals is it for?

One idea - you could add some broms in some of the "empty" spaces on the back wall.

Also - is that cling film up top on the vents? I would suggest replacing that with a thin sheet of acrylic or ABS if you're worried about it blowing away; or a sheet of silicone (making sure it's aired out).
I was thinking three or four leucomelas. I will probably replace the saran wrap on top with a sheet of glass or acrylic at some point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was thinking three or four leucomelas. I will probably replace the saran wrap on top with a sheet of glass or acrylic at some point.
Hm - Leucs really enjoy climbing up; mine spend at least half their time up off the ground and even sleep up in between branches and all that... all the way up to 4 feet in my build (and much more in the wild).

The shortest I'd keep them in is 24 high - would be a shame if they just cluster on the top of that cork pane in the back.

This would be a great setup for slightly more "terrestrial" darts like tincs, terribs, galacs, auratus, etc. - if you are set on a group, you'll probably want terribs, galacs or auratus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm - Leucs really enjoy climbing up; mine spend at least half their time up off the ground and even sleep up in between branches and all that... all the way up to 4 feet in my build (and much more in the wild).

The shortest I'd keep them in is 24 high - would be a shame if they just cluster on the top of that cork pane in the back.

This would be a great setup for slightly more "terrestrial" darts like tincs, terribs, galacs, auratus, etc. - if you are set on a group, you'll probably want terribs, galacs or auratus.
Okay, I am definetly open to others. I would love to do tincs but I don't want to deal with trying to rehome or separate them if they get aggressive. Of the ones you suggested, which are the least shy?

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Would you consider gifting the hollow cork round to the frogs? Perhaps more solid cover/cavern cork curvatures, shelfs, lifts.?

It appears that you are trying to balance the leaf litter areas to the moss areas on the floor in an aesthetic but its probably better to stick with leaf litter layer utility its been working out on forest floors splendidly, all over this great planet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I participated in a livestream with a well known frog supplier a few weeks ago and was told I could most likely keep a group of three tincs in here with no problem if I started them all together as juveniles. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with doing this? I would love to get tincs as that's what I was originally drawn to and now I am a bit worried my tank is too short for leucs which was my second choice.

Also, I will minimize the moss and add more climbing area with cork bark flats. Has anyone used those magnetic reptile shelfs? I could put one on the right side.

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
Though I agree completely that leucs climb a lot, and that a taller viv would be better, I think leucs would be an excellent choice. I'd recommend adding more climbing opportunities, removing all the moss, and making sure you have a good amount of adjustable ventilation (if you're keeping the screen top, which I personally would, different sized pieces of acrylic to lay on top work well) before you get the frogs.

Edit to add: I've kept leucs (Fine Spot) for a few years now in vivs ranging from 12" (not recommended, for a few reasons), and 18", and 24" high, and this experience is what I'm basing my judgement on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Okay, I am definetly open to others. I would love to do tincs but I don't want to deal with trying to rehome or separate them if they get aggressive. Of the ones you suggested, which are the least shy?
Tincs are all quite aggressive - wouldn't go for more than a pair. In the interests of disclosure - I've got a group of four in a very very large viv (100 gal+) that has a lot of customization to make it work (visual barriers, retreats, ledges, etc.), and it does, but I would only attempt that with a VERY custom and VERY large setup if you have a LOT of time to tweak it. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for something smaller.

Of those - Terribs are VERY bold. Galacs are quite bold. That says it really depends on the frog, they do have personalities...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I participated in a livestream with a well known frog supplier a few weeks ago and was told I could most likely keep a group of three tincs in here with no problem if I started them all together as juveniles. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with doing this? I would love to get tincs as that's what I was originally drawn to and now I am a bit worried my tank is too short for leucs which was my second choice.

Also, I will minimize the moss and add more climbing area with cork bark flats. Has anyone used those magnetic reptile shelfs? I could put one on the right side.
Take things frog vendors tell you with a grain of salt - at the end of the day they are in the business of selling frogs.

Tincs could work, subject to a lot of factors including gender mix, layout of the viv and frogs personalities. Obviously the first and last are VERY hard to control especially when buying young - and darts personalities can change as they mature.

That SAID, Leucs - could work if you are willing to add a lot more climbing perches (cork tubes, ghostwood branches, climbable plants or even wood orchid baskets). Also seconded what everyone said about less moss / more leaf litter. Moss is best for accents only, leaf litter for 80%+ of the ground space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts