Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I've always wanted to get into planted vivs and dart frogs. I've kept many reptiles in the past (panther chameleons, mellers chams, many snakes) and I currently keep a reef tank. So I think I like to consider myself an experienced pet keeper lol.
I'm hoping to turn one of my old nano reef tanks into a planted vivarium. The tank is a 20 gallon long and it is lit by Philips Rebel 3 watt LEDS.

Now here are where the questions come in:
I don't want to make an overly elaborate setup my first time, so I was simply going to order the dart frog kit and plant package from Josh's frogs. Is there anything else I should consider picking up as well? (besides temp/humidity guages and what not)
I was leaning towards stocking Powder blue tincs. How many of these can I keep in a 20 long. I was thinking 2 or 3?
I have my LED fixture that i've grown Coral with (acropora specifically). If i don't light the Blue LEDs and only use the whites (neutral whites with a few cool whites thrown in i think), would this be good for plant growth? If not I have a t5 fixture somewhere that would fit.
Should the viv be seeded with isopods beforehand? Also, with a steady stream of isopods, would i need to feed other insects?

Thats about it for now I think. Thanks in advance for the help guys, this forum has been a huge factor in convincing me to do darts!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't want to make an overly elaborate setup my first time, so I was simply going to order the dart frog kit and plant package from Josh's frogs.
1)Is there anything else I should consider picking up as well? (besides temp/humidity guages and what not)
2) I was leaning towards stocking Powder blue tincs. How many of these can I keep in a 20 long. I was thinking 2 or 3?
3)I have my LED fixture that i've grown Coral with (acropora specifically). If i don't light the Blue LEDs and only use the whites (neutral whites with a few cool whites thrown in i think), would this be good for plant growth? If not I have a t5 fixture somewhere that would fit.
4)Should the viv be seeded with isopods beforehand? Also, with a steady stream of isopods, would i need to feed other insects?
1) Get a fruitfly starter kit. You will need supplements as well. I would also consider ordering some black contact paper to black out 3 sides of the viv. This will reduce stress (and make the tank look better).
2) I would go with 2 in a 20L.
3) LED's would probably be a good idea since you are building such a short tank (i.e. to keep temps down).
4) You are definitely going to want to have fruitflies (D. melanogaster to start). Isopods in the tank cannot be dusted with vitamins, so there is no way your frogs will be properly supplemented without adding dusted flies.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good choice... Powder blue's are beautiful but for tincs, I would only keep a pair of them in a 20 long. They can be agressive when kept with the same sex so I suggest a sexed pair or get 2 froglets and trade with another herper who has them.

I don't really know that much about LED fixtures but the t5 will definitely work.

Seed the tank with iso's and also get some springtails and put some in there. Also learn how to culture some fruit flies before you get your frogs.

Btw, here is the caresheet for them if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/14606-dendrobates-azureus-tinctorius-novice.html

Take care,
Alex

Darn Field!!! You beat me too it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Get a fruitfly starter kit. You will need supplements as well. I would also consider ordering some black contact paper to black out 3 sides of the viv. This will reduce stress (and make the tank look better).
2) I would go with 2 in a 20L.
3) LED's would probably be a good idea since you are building such a short tank (i.e. to keep temps down).
4) You are definitely going to want to have fruitflies (D. melanogaster to start). Isopods in the tank cannot be dusted with vitamins, so there is no way your frogs will be properly supplemented without adding dusted flies.
Awesome advice. Since I was planning on setting up the viv first and letting it grow in a bit before adding frogs, should i get the fruit flys with the frogs or beforehand to startup a good breeding population.?
Also thanks for the advice on the dusting. What supplement is usually dusted? Calcium w/D3, herptivite, etc?
Good choice... Powder blue's are beautiful but for tincs, I would only keep a pair of them in a 20 long. They can be agressive when kept with the same sex so I suggest a sexed pair or get 2 froglets and trade with another herper who has them.

I don't really know that much about LED fixtures but the t5 will definitely work.

Seed the tank with iso's and also get some springtails and put some in there. Also learn how to culture some fruit flies before you get your frogs.

Btw, here is the caresheet for them if you haven't seen it yet... http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/14606-dendrobates-azureus-tinctorius-novice.html

Take care,
Alex

Darn Field!!! You beat me too it....
Ooo that answers my fruit fly question too!

Thanks so much guys! Hopefully I'll be getting this up and running soon.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you should start trying to culture flies b4 you get frogs. Just to make sure you know how to do it.
Theres many different supplements but many people I know use Repcal Calcium Plus. You should dust every feeding when they froglets are young.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you should start trying to culture flies b4 you get frogs. Just to make sure you know how to do it.
Theres many different supplements but many people I know use Repcal Calcium Plus. You should dust every feeding when they froglets are young.
Alright. That's definitely what I'm going to do then. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Awesome advice. Since I was planning on setting up the viv first and letting it grow in a bit before adding frogs, should i get the fruit flys with the frogs or beforehand to startup a good breeding population.?
Also thanks for the advice on the dusting. What supplement is usually dusted? Calcium w/D3, herptivite, etc?
I would start culturing at least a month beforehand. Its best to have a pretty good handle on one of the most important aspects of keeping darts. Honestly, I would start 2 months in advance for a couple of reasons: first you will get more experience setting up cultures, second you can take one culture and make two new ones from each boom...that way you will have plenty of cultures when you get frogs. About the supplements, I use CalPlus (I add SuperPig) every feeding for froglets and every 2nd-3rd feeding for adults. I rotate in Herptivite a few times a month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts