Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im new to this site and joined to learn how to set up Vivarium for dart frogs.
I keep an native amazon river biotope aquarium setup and was wanting to start a similar Vivarium to go along with amazon theme.
I have a 45-55 gal corner tank that at one time was a leaker... ive resealed it and am now ready to Create... read a thread on here earlier about building a tree/root from foam and now im really ready to get going.....I love to build stuff..... Harleys,trucks. houses, bows and arrows and anything out of metal......
I have kept a terrarium several times and several native tree frogs over the years....
Sorry for the Rambles .. Great Site...
Larry

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome! Building custom things is the best part of this in my opinion.

Be sure to read through all of the n00b/ beginner stickies. They give you a good base when starting new. Just read all of the stickies.

Take your time and don't rush.

Read read read. Then read some more!

sent from my incredible...mind

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for advice...... I have false bottom built for my Viv. going with a flat floor and some things in corner( my aquarium is a corner Hex. 50 gal?) It was a leaker and ive resealed it... stripped old computer for fan and have several phone chargers that will power it... extra timer from my aquarium ( 46 gal bowfront, native amazon plants and fish) i want to take my time and get it all setup and settled in before i get frogs.. I really like the Dendrobates histrionicus.. im in no hurry and if it takes me 6 months then so be it.... My wife has several house plants that are native amazon river stuff.. porthos and and arrow plants... want to get a couple of bromiliads and some moss and ground covers...
just fixed my puter and im gettin my fix..
thanks again
Larry

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hello and welcome. I'm glad to see that newbies are still coming! Though I'm not much more then a newbie myself, as it seems my first post was just yesterday. Anyway, I wouldn't reccomend d. histrionicus as a begginer frog, as they belong to a group called obligate egg feeders, which also include pumilio and many other expert to advanced dart frogs. If I were you, I would start off with something a little more basic, like Leucomelas or Tinctorius.

·
Registered
532 Posts
thanks for advice...... I have false bottom built for my Viv. going with a flat floor and some things in corner( my aquarium is a corner Hex. 50 gal?) It was a leaker and ive resealed it... stripped old computer for fan and have several phone chargers that will power it... extra timer from my aquarium ( 46 gal bowfront, native amazon plants and fish) i want to take my time and get it all setup and settled in before i get frogs.. I really like the Dendrobates histrionicus.. im in no hurry and if it takes me 6 months then so be it.... My wife has several house plants that are native amazon river stuff.. porthos and and arrow plants... want to get a couple of bromiliads and some moss and ground covers...
just fixed my puter and im gettin my fix..
thanks again
Larry
Haha a lot of people like histos! But since they're pretty rare and expensive I suggest not getting them. Like frog dude they're very advanced and best left to the experts... Why not some luecs, tincs, or anthonyi/tricolor? They're all very good begginner frogs and are bold. Tincs are very big and colorful, you have lots of choices..

Heres the caresheets for them...
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/14606-dendrobates-azureus-tinctorius-novice.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ca...dobates-tricolor-e-anthonyi-intermediate.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/13015-dendrobates-leucomelas-novice.html

Welcome to the hobby! :D

-Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts