Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum and don't currently own any darts. I have been researching though and would like to know opinions on which species would be good for a newbie. I have a 20 long viv I recently planted, nothing living in it right now, and I thought I might like to keep a couple darts. I have done a lot of research but had a few questions:

What species would do good in a 20 gal viv? (I'll upload a pic) I would prefer to have two or three.

It doesn't have a water feature at the moment, but I would like to add one, what pumps/filters work well for this? (Do all species need a water feature?)

What species of fruit fly is the best to culture?

Thanks for any input!

It's not letting me upload a pic :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any species would do well in a 20 gallon. Tincs/terribs/auratus tend to prefer ground space, whereas thumbs and most leucs like the more vertically oriented tanks. So it would depend on if you have it sitting normally or converted to a vertical tank. Water features are not necessary, and I would say that for your first build, maybe hold off on one. As for fruit flies, the melanos are the smaller and the hydei are larger. Melanos take 14 days to reproduce whereas hydei take a few weeks. Melanos are always a great suit for the thumbnail frogs and froglets, but full grown frogs that aren't thumbnails will be able to take the hydei, as well as small crickets. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's best to stay away from water feature first starting out. You want to use every bit of that 20 long for the frogs and not waste any space on water features. Unless you wanna slant the substrate into a corner and provide a little pond which wouldn't require a pump.
As a n00b you should start culturing melanogasters, hydei are a little more difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's best to stay away from water feature first starting out. You want to use every bit of that 20 long for the frogs and not waste any space on water features. Unless you wanna slant the substrate into a corner and provide a little pond which wouldn't require a pump.
As a n00b you should start culturing melanogasters, hydei are a little more difficult.
I was thinking about putting a pond in the corner. Could I use a small filter to keep it clean? Would frogs be ok with only high humidity? I could just put a small water dish if they need that.

Who would you suggest buying flies from to start?

Thanks for all the help =)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I was thinking about putting a pond in the corner. Could I use a small filter to keep it clean? Would frogs be ok with only high humidity? I could just put a small water dish if they need that.

Who would you suggest buying flies from to start?

Thanks for all the help =)
You won't need a filter and humidity is controlled by misting.
Josh's Frogs have decent pieces you wanna get the wingless. So do you have any resource doing cultures? If not you need to get culturing down before you buy frogs.
You need to get culturing supplies and get some springtails and culturing supplies for those. It's gonna be pricey.
You seem to be asking some pretty basic questions. You're not ready to own dart frogs. Go to the feeding section, and the construction section and do some research, please. I wouldn't start building or anything until you've done lengthy research.
I really don't mind helping but you've got lots to learn :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't need a filter and humidity is controlled by misting.
Josh's Frogs have decent pieces you wanna get the wingless. So do you have any resource doing cultures? If not you need to get culturing down before you buy frogs.
You need to get culturing supplies and get some springtails and culturing supplies for those. It's gonna be pricey.
You seem to be asking some pretty basic questions. You're not ready to own dart frogs. Go to the feeding section, and the construction section and do some research, please. I wouldn't start building or anything until you've done lengthy research.
I really don't mind helping but you've got lots to learn :p

I've got a TON to learn :) I originally built the viv for some roaches but am hesitant to put them in, while looking into what could live in there I was playing with the idea of darts. I would not get darts anytime soon. I would definitely start culturing the flies long before I got darts.
I was asking a lot of these questions to make sure I get the correct answer from trustworthy sources. There is just so much false info on the internet.

Just making sure... The frogs are fine without a water dish so long as they're humidity stays up, right?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just making sure... The frogs are fine without a water dish so long as they're humidity stays up, right?
Yeah I have no water dish in one viv.
Though you can get monkey pods and make little pools of water around the viv.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After many failed attempts, I've learned to follow the KISS rule, Keep It Simple Stupid! A fully enclosed aquarium/terrarium that you spray down once every day or two with distilled water is plenty of moisture for them. They don't drink or bathe, they get their moisture from the humidity and wet surfaces. Adding more tech just increases the number of things that can go wrong.

As for species, I'd go with the D. leucomelas or D. auratus. If going with auratus, get the bolder Costa Rican variety, the different morphs have really different personalities and it's disappointing when you get a shy kind that hides a lot. My blue auratus spent the first 2 years of its life hiding from view. Definitely more rewarding to have a colorful frog you actually get to see on a regular basis. Both are medium sized and you can house 2-3 in that size aquarium depending on available floor/climbing space. Remember that water isn't their habitat, so adding a pond will eat up available space for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After many failed attempts, I've learned to follow the KISS rule, Keep It Simple Stupid! A fully enclosed aquarium/terrarium that you spray down once every day or two with distilled water is plenty of moisture for them. They don't drink or bathe, they get their moisture from the humidity and wet surfaces. Adding more tech just increases the number of things that can go wrong.

As for species, I'd go with the D. leucomelas or D. auratus. If going with auratus, get the bolder Costa Rican variety, the different morphs have really different personalities and it's disappointing when you get a shy kind that hides a lot. My blue auratus spent the first 2 years of its life hiding from view. Definitely more rewarding to have a colorful frog you actually get to see on a regular basis. Both are medium sized and you can house 2-3 in that size aquarium depending on available floor/climbing space. Remember that water isn't their habitat, so adding a pond will eat up available space for them.
IF I do get frogs, I will probably get the leucs.

It seems like the fruit flies reproduce pretty exponentially. Can they get out of hand? If I only had 2 or 3 frogs I would't need 20 cultures.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
IF I do get frogs, I will probably get the leucs.

It seems like the fruit flies reproduce pretty exponentially. Can they get out of hand? If I only had 2 or 3 frogs I would't need 20 cultures.
You can maintain the population of the flies. I make 3 cultures and I have 6 frogs. Though I also have other feeders I can feed them as well as back ups.
The flies will only usually reproduce 2 or 3 times in the container after that the culture crashes.
YOu make a culture then it's good in 14 days and when they are ready you make new cultures out of those. You won't wind up with more than you can feed and even if you do they will just die off in the end.
So at any given time I have 6 cultures, 3 are producing and 3 are new cultures that are waiting for their 14 days to be up so they will be considered producing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can maintain the population of the flies. I make 3 cultures and I have 6 frogs. Though I also have other feeders I can feed them as well as back ups.
The flies will only usually reproduce 2 or 3 times in the container after that the culture crashes.
YOu make a culture then it's good in 14 days and when they are ready you make new cultures out of those. You won't wind up with more than you can feed and even if you do they will just die off in the end.
So at any given time I have 6 cultures, 3 are producing and 3 are new cultures that are waiting for their 14 days to be up so they will be considered producing.
Ok, sounds good.

Thank you all for the help! I hope I will eventually be able to get some of these amazing creatures! (Frogs, not flies :D lol)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Ok, sounds good.

Thank you all for the help! I hope I will eventually be able to get some of these amazing creatures! (Frogs, not flies :D lol)
Just take your time. Don't rush it. Take all the time you can to research all that you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts