Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i stumbled on this website as i was searching for passages to learn the proper way to build a viv! great sight so far!! :D

i want to build my first and learn to do it right! i have a 30gal long tank and thats it so far. i didnt want to start buying things yet, only to find it was a useless purchase!

what i would like to do...
i want to build a successful vivarium with plants, a waterfall, thought about a small pond area as well and frogs. not sure if i want to go with darts or red eyed tree frogs!

i think that i have figured out all the bottom stuff, but i want suggestions on the lid (all glass, completely closed off... or portion of it screened. if its screened, how does it create the moisture and humidity?) lighting (im clueless) and some suggestions for waterfalls and pond possibilities!

any and all help is much appreciated! thanks in advance! i will check back frequently!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more questions... i want to have a waterfall and a small pool area (opposite sides of the tank) whats the easiest way to do this? can i still do the false bottom if i do this? and... do i need to drill my tank at all for drains and cord or tubing access?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, thanks for the few replies so far and also for the links!
i think i have it figured out as to what i want to do now, just curious if it is a good idea. i did searches here and read alot. just want to ask once again to be safe... so here goes!

on the left side i am going to make a small pool. i cut a piece of plexi already to silicone in there as a water divider. what i thought i would do is.... cut a hole at the center bottom of it so that it will become open space along with the false bottom area. then, in the right corner i want to build my waterfall, having the water flow down the falls through a little rocky area and finally into the pool. i figure if i put the pump at the bottom of the tank so that it is in the false bottom area... it will suck up that water and use it to flow over the falls. i hope this is understood! seems like it should work, and it should get filtered sort of as well going through the substrate somewhat!

suggestions and comments please! thanks guys and girls!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are creating a vivarium the best thing you can do is to have a false botton.. You create a false botton to separate the water from the soil.. that way it will not rot. Yes you can have as many waterfalls as you want in your vivariums.

Cheers and good luck

Plz send some pictures when it is done.

Xavier

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd recommend engineering some sort of access to the pump in case it fails... whether that is a portion of egg-crate that can be removed with minimum distrubance to the substrate/plants...

or in my case, the tanks always drain to a sump where the pump is located. You'll find many very pro-drilling/draining people here, and people who think it's a waste of time. If you have a water feature, I think it is the only way to go... just my humble opinion.

Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres a picture of my 30 gallon with false bottom so you get an idea of how much space your working with...mind you it has done any growing in this pic so the plnats have begun to fill in more...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts