Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie in Tampa, FL! I have one tank set up and cycling. 18x18x24 planning for a Azureus (eventually a pair) to go in there. It is a tadpole currently and is just beginning to show its hind legs.

I have several springtail and isopod cultures going and I have added lots of microfauna to the tank already. I have it pretty heavily planted and excited for the little guy/gal to mature.

My main questions are...

1a) Are there any breeders local to Tampa Bay that have good quality juveniles/sub adults. I will eventually like to get a few more (Azureus) so I can have a pair. I understand I should only have a pair in tank(especially one so small)--but this seems like the best way to get my other half. I can either sell the extras or I'm sure I'll have my other tank set up and going by then and they can call that home.

1b) Also, are there any breeders that sell isopods and FF cultures locally? I'd assume if they're selling frogs that they would also sell cultures. I have tried googling local breeders and yes I do patron Repticons however with the current pandemic its all a bit uncomfortable being in large crowds like that. And I feel like I go round and round with all of the big online retailers.

2)The tank lids. I currently have a 18x18 aquarium lid on top. I need to add a vent (mesh) on the top with some (small computer) fans. My humidity is consistently too high--averaging 85%. I think I will be cutting a section out of the plastic piece that comes with the aquarium lids and use silicone to secure a 1-2" wide mesh piece. Is that in line with what is recommended? Are there any ways that are easier!?

I'd love to get some Vanessas as my next frog in the future as they are absolutely beautiful.

I'd much prefer to support local breeders, however I know that isn't always possible.

Thanks in advance! I have really enjoyed seeing all the threads and have already learned so much!

·
Super Moderator
3,987 Posts
2) I assume the tank is an ExoTerra or ZooMed, given those dimensions. If so, I would skip the fan, and either

(a) use the stock top with plexiglass inserts to lay on top of the screen, sized to leave a few inches of ventilation (and have a few different sizes in order to change them out seasonally or when more or less ventilation is needed), or

(b) Make a screen insert from a window screen kit that leaves ~25% of the top vented, and get a piece of glass cut and tempered to fit the remainder of the top opening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thank you for the alternative suggestions!

You don't think the fan will be necessary to alleviate the high humidity?

·
Registered
38 Posts
1a) 1b) Sarah Gittins is a very nice lady who breeds standard type frogs and microfauna in your area.

2)The tank lids- You can buy tank lids prefab from tincman herps perfect for darts. I don't think you can have too much humidity unless your concern is about growing dwarf orchids and bromeliads which will rot with stale air. Then you still want the humidity but fans will keep the air fresh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts