Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I know this has been posted before and I appologize. There is just so much information on just this forum itself to go through it all. I've been on here for a little while reading as much as possible.

I've built a 10 gallon vert before and put two grey treefrogs in it for a month or two before a friend took them. I've been reading on here more and more and I wanna take the leap into darts. More specifically I want to start off by getting a pair of Green and Black Dendrobates auratus. Now I realize a few of the standard statements are build your vivarium to the species you are planning on keeping.

I'll start off with what I have on hand. I have the choice between a 20 high, 29, 30 gallon aquarium. I'm also familiar with building an background outta GS and foam/dry lok. Is there any benefits to either background for this species? Also are they more terrestrial or arborial? Also do Dendrobates auratus benefit from a waterfeature? I really don't want to get into the complexities of an waterfeature right off the bat. Another thing I plan on having the viv built and planted for a decent amount of time. I don't plan on getting any darts until around August so that will give me plenty of time to get a iso, springtail, and FF culture going. I also see a lot of mentioning of broms are they pretty much an egg laying area or do some species of darts prefer to use them as cover.

I know my questions are kinda jumbled but any and all help is always appriciated and if these questions have been asked before please don't hestate to direct me to an different thread. Thank you for your time.

Luke

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Any of your tank choices would be just fine for auratus, you could do a pair or raise up a little group. They will use any branches and ledges you build. My auratus tanks are heavily planted and they make good use of leaf litter A layer towards the front of the tank gives me more opportunity to see them, if they are shy. No need for a water feature, but a simple corner pond is something that I would not skip. They take advantage of water whether it be hunting fruit flies, or dropping tadpoles. I don’t have bromeliads in my auratus tanks. They lay their eggs on broad leaves or in coco huts.

Sounds like you have been researching, good for you!

Sally

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'll start off with what I have on hand. I have the choice between a 20 high, 29, 30 gallon aquarium. I'm also familiar with building an background outta GS and foam/dry lok. Is there any benefits to either background for this species? Also are they more terrestrial or arborial? Also do Dendrobates auratus benefit from a waterfeature? I really don't want to get into the complexities of an waterfeature right off the bat. Another thing I plan on having the viv built and planted for a decent amount of time. I don't plan on getting any darts until around August so that will give me plenty of time to get a iso, springtail, and FF culture going. I also see a lot of mentioning of broms are they pretty much an egg laying area or do some species of darts prefer to use them as cover.
Any of those tanks will work fine. Auratus are more terrestrial in my experience, but they do climb as well, so tanks like a 20 high or 29 would work well because they have a decent amount of height as well as width. I can't think of any benefit for either type of background... both of those would work, or even no background is fine- it is up to you how complex you want to make it.
Don't bother with a water feature if you don't want one, they don't need fancy waterfalls. A simple shallow pool in a corner, small plastic cup/ water bowl, or even just enough misting with god humidity will be fine.
Planting ahead of time and letting things grow in always helps things get settled, plants rooted, temperatures stable, bugs steady population, etc. so that is good.
Broms are used for many things, auratus may use them some for eggs but most likely I think they would use them for hiding. Mine love to sleep in the brom axils at night. Auratus typically use coco-huts and leaf litter for eggs and cover.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You probably see a lot of people mentioning broms because so many people like them. They aren't necessary but the frogs may use them for hiding or egg laying, they're a part of many species natural habitat, there are a lot of types that do really well in a viv that would be more difficult to keep in a normal household environment, and they're freakin cool looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts