Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so here is my latest viv project. I haven't built any in awhile or been very active around here, but I lurk quite a bit. Anyway, since I've gathered so much info from here I thought I would share.

Like the title says its a Zoomed 18x18x24. I'm not sure on inhabitants yet. I originally wanted to build it for day geckos. Then started thinking about pdfs again and then to pygmy chameleons. I'm kind of all over the map right now. So I'm not really sure which one I'm going to go with. There is an expo up here in WA in a couple weeks, I'll have to see what is offered.

Background: Fake rocks built with pink insulation foam, drylok and concrete color. The rocks were created with a base coat of dark then dry brushed a lighter color on top. A couple rocks I used great stuff to build ledges. In between each rock I placed some brown colored drylok mixed with coco husk.

There is going to be a moss covered log leaning against the background. Then in the front right corner I'm going to use white sand to create the look of a dry river bed hopefully. The substrate is going to be coco husk and orchid bark placed on top of leca.

For the lights I was planning on just using a couple daylight cfls I can get at the local hardware store.

Misting is a diy setup that I'm working on. Since its just one tank I don't need a full fledged automated system. So I created one using a hand pump attached to a couple foggers.

DIY Stand and tank

Tank Closeup

Rock background

This is how I'm going to place the log once the background is done drying

Hand pump mister:

Misting nozzles using cpvc pieces. I'm going to glue the foggers to one end of the cpvc and attach micro tubing to the other end then run the tubing through the cpvc. I'll post more pictures later if people want to see them.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I was planning on putting some moss in between the rocks along with some broms, cryptanthus and a white rabbits foot fern. I was also going to add a vanilla planifollia vine. Then as a central plant I was going to use a small ficus benjamina. In the dry river bed area I'll be planting some crypts and possibly some riccia.

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I go phelsuma it will probably be either gold dust or klemmeri (if I can find cb ones). For frogs it would probably be a group of mantellas, a azureas or cobalt tincs. But right now I'm leaning heavily toward cb pygmy chameleons. I think with the ficus in there it would be perfect for their climbing and moving around. Plus, they just look cool to me.

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem Mitch, I completely understand what you are saying. I was thinking that as I was planting the ficus. The main reason I put it in there is because pygmy chameleons like a lot of little branches to climb on, so this made sense instead of putting a bunch of dead twigs in there. What the pictures don't show is that the background can be seen pretty well from different angles. If I don't get chameleons I'll probably tear it out and put something else there.

I've got a few more pictures I'll be posting later once I get my last plants in the mail.

-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Its close to complete with inhabitants now. The only thing left is to fix the background so it doesn't dry up so quickly, not sure how yet. This past weekend I went to a reptile expo in WA and Darren was there with some really nice frogs, he was super helpful and I was easily convinced. So I picked up a couple cobalt tincs. Since this won't be for pygmy chams anymore I tore out the ficus and added some other plants. I guess I'll be building another viv here soon, I am proud of my addiction. Anyway here are some pictures

I tried uploading a FTS but the browser froze so I'll do that again later.

Top Half:

Bottom Half:

Lighting. 2 clip on lamps from Bed Bath and Beyond with 2 GE Daylight bulbs

DIY Misting Nozzles using irrigation foggers and cpvc piping:

I don't have any pics of the frogs yet, they are hiding at the moment. Hope people enjoy it.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey nice job man, like the new set up alot better then the old one that tree took all the focus off that awesome background you made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts