Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the board, though I've been lurking for the past few weeks absorbing as much info as I can.

For about 6 months, I've been researching frogs and reptiles, and I've finally decided I'm ready to start building my first PDF viv. I actually bought some hermit crabs to get myself acquainted with some "easy" viv issues and built some simple tropical, humid planted environments for them to live in, so I have a rudimentary understanding of what it entails to keep a living environment healthy and productive. Of course hermit crabs have different issues than frogs, but I'm hoping I can put some of what I've learned to good use!

Now, of course, I have a few questions before I go further.

I've noticed that some folks here do talk about maintaining 10G tanks, but on other sites I've visited, the recommendation has been to start with a 20G (10G per frog). I want to keep things small to begin with, and I'm wondering whether 10G will be large enough for a starter. I have 2 10Gs here, one of which I've already begun working on . . . but am I making a mistake by starting out with that size? Should I keep going with that one or should I scrap it and go with a 20?

I also am wondering about substrates and water issues . . . I see the benefit of using the false-bottoms under the substrate, but I have also read a lot about using the clay pebbles (Terra Lite) on BlackJungle.com . . . if I use that without a FB will I be setting myself up for water-quality problems at all, or will the plants really manage to help filter the water back into the substrate and keep things relatively healthy in between any water changes/exchanges? Is it possible to use a small water feature in a small environment w/o a FB and still keep the tank from getting waterlogged or is it better to go with the FB and a larger tank if I wanted to go that route?

And finally, when I do get a viv set up and functioning: The frogs I get will be my first, so is there any benefit to keeping them in the recommended plastic shoebox before adding them to the enclosure? It seems that quarantine is the reason the plastic shoebox is recommended, but since these will be my first, I won't be quarantining them from any other frogs--should I still plan to prepare the simple shoebox for them?

Sorry if my questions have been asked a billion times--I did search for answers on these things, but my searches were so general, I didn't quite get specific enough answers!

I look forward to hanging out here more and getting started!

--Erin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't worry about all of the questions, I'm fairly new myself and would love to take a stab at them.

I personally bought into the 10 gallons per FROG rule. Keep in mind thats it's FROG and not FROGLET! I set up a 40 gallon tank for 4 young tincs and they were lost within minutes. They also couldn't seem to find any food, or when they did it took them so long it defeated the purpose. I then swiftly moved all four of them into a 10 gallon, with a false bottom, and they instantly responded. they all hung out together and finding food was a breeze. Two of them were growing faster than the others so i separated the smaller two into tupperwares so that I could more easily control food intake, as I could put in the exact number of flies I wanted THEM to get. I simply put peat, some with springtails, in the bottom and lots of sphagnum moss with a small little coco-hut. The frogs took to them well and after a 3 days fast ate greedily. There's tons of stuff on false bottom and vivarium set-up in the member vivriums section, so that should be a breeze to scan through for info and ideas. Hope you have a great experience, and happy frogging.

James

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James, thanks for that info. I didn't really think about it that way, but you make a very good point!

I'm expecting to start with a unsexed pair of juveniles or froglets, so 10G might be a better place to start than a mammoth-size tank.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome Erin!
I too am fairly new to Frogging and I agree with James. I use ten gallon tanks for raising froglets. I have found that it is a lot easier to feed the small ones in a smaller tank. But, I would recommend getting them into a bigger tank when they get bigger. I have found that a 20 gallon tank works great for two grown frogs. That is my breeding set-up.
They are cheap, compact, and take up little room. I will usually wait for a sale at one of the big chain pet store and get them with hoods for $40.00. I bought five a couple of months ago and I always have one in the build fase..... I figure that I takes me aound $30.00 to set it up. I always use a false bottom because I like to have a water feature in my tanks. I use the false bottom as my watter res. for the pump that I have under the False Bottom. It also keeps the humidity high.
I also agree with James that there are a lot of great threads about false bottoms in this forum from a lot of people more experienced than me. I read all about setting up a tank for months before I even tried my first viv. bur, I went with the false bottom and a product called Florite for a drainage layer above the FB. I just use coco fiber and mix in leaf litter and orchid bark for my substrate. That setup works great for me. Drains great as well as holding enough moisture to keep things humid.
Also, take a look around in the user galleries. There are a lot of helpful pictures of what people have done in the past. I did a lot of looking to see what I wanted to do. Be creative, think of ways that you want to set up your tank before you get started, and plan. Take a look at my gallery. I have been posting pictures of a 20 gallon tank that is in the works. There is also pics of one that I finished last month (20 gallon). I just finished the one I was working on tonight so, I will be posting more pictures in the coming days.
This hobby is great and there are a lot of great people on this forum ready to help out where they can. Also, ask around the board here. Maybe someone is in your area that would like to help out.
Hope that I answered some of your questions.
Good Luck!
Later,
Brad

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the board Erin-

Sounds like you've done your research. You're on the right track. I prefer to use a 20 gal because there is more room for different plants, but a 10 gal would be fine if that's all you have. A 10 would be a little too small for a false bottom though.

For setting up your first viv, I would recomend starting with either a 10 or 20. Then add a couple inches of gravel for drainage, put some window screen on top, then add some coco fiber. I'd try to plant it pretty dense, and supply quite a bit of light so that they don't thin out (don't put it in direct sunlight though.)

I did my first viv using this method and it lasted a long time. I ended up changing it because I got more ideas, but it would have lasted forever if I would have left it the way it was.

Just a couple suggestions that may help you out.... I'd look around at vivs in the gallary or online to get some ideas before you start building your viv. And also, I'd start culturing some fruit flies and be sure you get that down before you get the frogs.

Good luck, and have fun. Setting up the vivarium is half the fun. I'd be interested in seeing how it goes, post us some pictures in the "member's frogs and viv's" section. Join us for a chat sometime.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the 10 gallons per a frog pertains to breeding adults more than juvenile frogs. Most people I know, including myself, raise out froglets in small tanks like 10 gallons. That way you can keep a better eye on hem and make sure they can find food. Once they are 1/2-3/4 grown then I move them to bigger tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts