Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since i had a terrarium/vivarium and I decided to break down my planted fish tank so i can get my frogs back. My tank is 22" tall, 30" wide, and 12" deep. I plan on housing red eyed tree frogs. I was looking to do a cliff face with embedded tree root look. I have never done a foam background and this is my first attempt. I am currently baking my coco mulch to dry it so i can begin placing it on the foam, so I am at a standstill. It's hard when it's 10 degrees outside to lay soil on a tarp in the sun to dry :(. I thought for my first post i would put up the pictures of the build so far and see what people think. On a side note, you may notice that there is a large piece of driftwood in the upper left corner of the tank connected to my pump housing, this was supposed to be where the waterfall started, but because of flow issues the waterfall now starts at the top of the rocks. I was having a really hard time keeping the water from soaking the two central pots. Also I only plan on having 2 or 3 terrestrial plants while everything else will be contained in the walls of the vivarium. Here are the pictures I have so far. Thanks

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice start, and welcome to the board! It seems like a lot of us are moving from fish over to frogs. It's nice to not have to worry about water changes ;)
Any particular reason you're going with that type of frog?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never had any experience with weed blocker in a vivarium, but i use the same stuff outside my home in our rock drainage and it has never had an issue and we get 400+ inches of snow here a year that melts. I also tested the weed block under the since before i put it in and it didn't hold any water The reason I chose red eyed tree frogs was because darts are a little pricey for me, and I already had all the proper equipment for arboreal frogs since i have had green tree frogs and reed frogs in the past. Also I agree I am tired of water changes. I loved my fish tank, but my water has way too many phosphates so i had an algae bloom everyday.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Looks good! Can't wait to see it done.

Do you have any experience with drainage through the weed blocker?
I always have.
I use the window screen that Lowes sells that has really small holes used for screen doors to keep the smalls bugs out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just in regards to the phosphates and to help stop spreading rumours and false I formation. Phosphates have nothing to do with algae blooms in freshwater aquaria, it's probably a mix of high light, unstable nutrients or lack of co2 that led to your blooms. Successful planted tanks need high nutrients so the plants can out compete the algae, either in the substrate or dosed directly into the water column.

Apart from that I can't wait to see how this turns out, I can already see it developing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's looking good so far. Though i do have a concern with you using hot glue i have read in other threads it is not a good choice since moisture will eventually build up behind it and pop the glue off of what ever it is you are attaching. It was said to leave hot glue for crafting and other such things. Thought i would just throw out some of the information i current acquired. Also it might be a good idea to add drainage tubes to the pots you GSed to the wall DEPENDING on what plants oyu stick in them if it is Broms you definetly want to they REALLY REALLY hate wet feet i lost 2 plants from it do to inexperience (they were really nice too).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts