Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says, been working on a new vivarium.
Current plants in the tank:
Pepperomia Prostrata
Unknown club moss
Selaginella uncinata
Ficus pumila minima(mostly dead from shipping)
A couple of biophytums that I'm growing out until they get too big.

Broms:
Popoki red
Punctatissima
FireballxPauciflora.

Plants are doin really well, didn't think the ficus would recover but it's putting out new shoots.

Planning on removing it anyways though to put more south American stuff in. Thinking the only non S.A plant in there by the time I get frogs will be the peacock moss cause I love selaginellas

Plants on order from understory
Philo Micans
Pearcea hypocyrtiflora
Two small marcgravia types from Peru

Been really impressed with greenoasis moss mix.

Thinking of putting R amazonica Iquitos in here

Lower stump goes back about 6 inches, and there is more space under the stump as well, to try to maximize space. There is also a large hollow beside the stump on the right side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
I love the hardscape. Looks great.

If your get Ranitomeya amazonica Iquitos you'll almost never see them lol. I rarely see my trio, occasionally at feeding time I'll see them when I've moved to the other side of the room.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely one of my concerns. My girlfriends number one concern is the noise from calling which is why I was thinking of them. If you have other ideas for vertical guys with quiet calls that are a little more bold, I'd be happy to take suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
That's definitely one of my concerns. My girlfriends number one concern is the noise from calling which is why I was thinking of them. If you have other ideas for vertical guys with quiet calls that are a little more bold, I'd be happy to take suggestions!
What size is the tank?

Ranitomeya uakarii have a nice quiet call, and are, in my experience, more bold than amazonica are

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is an 18x18x24. I've considered uakarii, but I've heard they don't do well in groups. I was hoping for a trio or possibly even four, if people think there's enough room for that many.

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
The tank is an 18x18x24. I've considered uakarii, but I've heard they don't do well in groups. I was hoping for a trio or possibly even four, if people think there's enough room for that many.
I have a 1.2 group in my 18x18x24" tank. They came to me as a trio that had been living together for years, there's still occasionally aggression between the two females, but there's lots of places to escape to so they can get their own space. I would recommend just a pair for your tank, honestly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any images of your tank on here? The biggest thing I'm not liking currently about this tank is the lack of large leaved plants, which is where the philo Micans and the pearcea come in

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2.1.0 Ranitomeya Veradero in a 12x18x24 all glass homebuild viv. Their call is reasonably quiet, and i always see some of them whenever i look into the viv. They seem happy enough, as they have produced ten out of the water offspring, plus tads, since May 2020. I remove them from the viv shortly after they have popped their front legs. I have just finished setting up a 24x18x24 Exoterra for some of the youngsters. Lovely little frogs, i would recommend them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey yak, by the looks of it, it seems that there’s too much sphagnum in there. It will hold a LOT of moisture, and there’s various effects it can toll on the frogs. I would suggest taking a majority of it out, hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the new understory delivery last week, everythings lookin happy! Gonna order some epi. Ferns and an orchid or two, but the shipping delays have been nasty this summer and I'm gonna wait till the weather is slightly cooler for that

Adoring these two little Peruvian marcgravias

If anyone can confirm what kind of club moss this is, I was thinking Kraussiana? It's growing like crazy, really like the uniformity against the randomness of the uncinata.

The Popoki has two pups going, I'm thinking I might remove it when the pups are ready and replace it with an opal blue or something else with wider leaves.

Finding somewhere to get the glass in Vancouver turned out to be a real pain, so I'm getting my hometown glass shop to cut the top pieces for me then a friend with a 3d printer is gonna help with the ventilation screen frame to make it look pretty. Currently I've got a single satellite plus pro V2 light on there, but with the 90 degree spread on the new LEDs it's not covering enough of the tank. Luckily I got a spare, which I'll be adding once I have the glass top on there. The philo Micans in the back is doin ok currently but I think long term I'll need the better light spread that two fixtures can offer.

Still, super impressed with the PAR values of the new satellites, the superball x pauciflora is loving it over the temp finnex I had on there.

Still not quite sure what kinda frogs I'll be putting in here, possibly thinking now maybe understory ventrimaculatas. I have a little more leeway with noise now that my girlfriends moving south for a year to work on a Laika film. We'll be buying a house when she gets back so I don't have to worry as much about the year in the apt.

Was wondering, how loud and how common are imitator calls, same with leucomelas? I've never had the opportunity to hear eithers call, is it significantly louder than a regular brown feeder cricket?

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Was wondering, how loud and how common are imitator calls, same with leucomelas? I've never had the opportunity to hear eithers call, is it significantly louder than a regular brown feeder cricket?
I have both species, and wouldn't say that either are louder than a cricket. They're much, much less annoying, that's for certain. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts