Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm relatively new to vivaria but I've done years worth of reef and freshwater planted tanks. Saw a deal for a local 12x12x18 and decided to give this a try!

The plan is for a fully planted bioactive viv, with a mossy drip wall (I know, the debate over water features in smaller vivs - I've kept the profile to <3" and if the system fails I'll still have a mist backup for humidity. )

Scape was build last week, I'm planning to let the silicone and GS outgas for about a month before adding plants, then let the tank grow in (with microfauna) for another month before adding frogs.

Hardware:
  • Zoo Med 12x12x18
  • Zoo Med CFL Hood (Not Pictured)
  • 25W +UV CFL
  • Small powerhead for drip wall
  • Exo Terra Monsoon Solo (?)
  • Starting with a digital timer power strip, maybe I'll spin my own diy controller or recycle a reef controller in the future... We'll see how it stabilizes

Scape:
  • Cork Bark wall with Mopani accents - mounted to tank with silicone
  • GS & Cocoa fiber filler

Flora:
  • Asstd. Mosses for drip wall
  • 2-3 Epiphytes, maybe broms
  • Asstd. Tropicals, Ferns, Vines

Fauna:
  • 1.1.0 - R. ventrimaculata 'French Guiana Yellow'

Scape as of 2/12/17:

I'd love any feedback or tips as I'm new to this!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The cork will probably not hold up for more than 6 months if it's constatly wet. It breaks down over time in moist environments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had a cork walled tank running for 3 years and the cork has not deteriorated at all in that time.
Yeah I think wet and submerged are two different things, it is bark after all.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hmm, ok. When I keep it in a tank with regular misting it gets really flimsy and falls apart, but I suppose those are usually cork rounds. Perhaps if you don't need it to keep its structural integrity because it's imbedded in the background it'll work ok. Good luck. Nice first build overall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I keep it in a tank with regular misting it gets really flimsy and falls apart, but I suppose those are usually cork rounds. Perhaps if you don't need it to keep its structural integrity because it's imbedded in the background it'll work ok.
I guess we'll see? A day of googling has only made this less clear... lots of people saying it lasts years, even in the most humid environments. Others saying it fell apart within months... :confused:

Good luck. Nice first build overall.
Thanks! :D Let's hope it works out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the setup of this tank! Though I'm not familiar with the process of "outgassing" GS and silicone. Can you elaborate?
During the curing process of (RTV) silicone the chemical reaction responsible for vulcanization creates byproducts (like acetic acid in GE I). I'm using 'outgassing' in a not strict sense - basically I just mean I'm waiting until all the volatile byproducts of the curing have dissipated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts