Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new setup of sorts, well it was arranged about a month ago. Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think. Nothing is currently in it.

Background: great stuff, gorilla glue/peat/coco fiber

Style: vert 10gal

Substrate: my own special mix

Decorum: Brazilnut husks, cork tube

Plants:
bulbophyllum makoyana, cryptanthus "starlight pink", cissus amazonica, unknown neoregelia, unknown syngonium, Lecanopteris spp., oddball tradescantid....forget the species right now...it's on the tip of my tongue...eh....whatever.

Have fun,

Justin

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=164374

·
Registered
561 Posts
Justin, nice setup. I noticed that you have water in the brazil nut husks, have you had any issues with the water turning? I have them in both my tricolor and imitator enclosures and water turned rancid and black. They did not leak which I understand is a common problem, but just got foul.
Ed

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,

Thanks!

Well, the tank has only been setup for a about a month and luckily they have not only held water, but the water has not turned black either. It could be because I change the water every few days. I also gave them a good washing with bleach and a mild detergent before putting them in. This is my first time using them.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Is the water itself black? Or is it an algae? I wonder if it is a result of rotting.

Justin

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Looks really nice Justin. Is that the same tank you started back in the lab (with the gorilla glue background)? How is the bulbophyllum makoyana attached to the cork slab, and is that slab built into the background? Are you gonna put your vent pair in there?

As for the brazil nut husks. I have used these in a couple tanks and have mixed results. They will definatly darken up, and sometimes will mold up (white mold) or have dirty water. This happens for a month or two (very rough estimate), and is part of it cycling into the tank. Some of mine leak while others will hold water... just wish all of them would hold water lol. I know you can us silicone on the inside of the "cup" to make sure they hold water, but I don't think they'd look as nice.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Beetle.

No, this was a setup I put together at home. This is my fourth tank using the gorilla glue and they all are holding up nice. The bulbo was rooted to a piece of cork that I attached using a hook- into the background. I will eventually put the vent pair in....maybe today? The background itself was put in before I used the foam, er...the foam holds it in place is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, I noticed the water turns a little brown if I don't change the water. Just a natural process of decay I guess.

Justin

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is the front door made of glass? If so where did you get those hinges from? and you just glued it to the black rim?
I like the fact that the door opens sideways, instead of them opening from top to bottom like the other 10 gal verts i have seen. Its easier for feedings.

sal

nice setup

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you like it. Everyone has there own spin on vert 10's. I like the swing front because it lets me get my whole arm in there for cleaning purposes.

The door is actually made of really thick acrylic. 3/4" I believe. It's really easy to drill and doesn't warp as much as the thinner stuff. The hinges, pull, and hasps are from Peace of the Tropics. They are all acrylic as well. They are glued to the frame using aquarium sealant.

Justin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice Bulbo you orchid nut but I'm a little disapointed that there is only one. Have you ever tried Coryanthes or Gongora in a viv?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim,

Thanks! If you want to give me a Gongora or any other orchid I will gladly take it...lol. Actually, I wanted the broms to grow in a little more before I added any more plants. Plus, there's limited ventilation in this setup. i think most orchids would probably rot in it, but the bulbo in there has been tried and true for me.

BTW- sorry I never got back to you on the vent tads I had for sale a while back- some unforseeable event occured and I found myself without a computer for a while.

Justin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Justin,
No problem, glad to see you with a computer and back posting. When I get divisions of my bulbo gutulata(leopardinum) going i'll send you one.
I've got a friend (grower) in Ecuador who I've been considering contacting about bringing intermediate pleuro spp. in for me to test in vivs. I'll keep you posted if I can make it happen.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TimStout said:
Justin,
No problem, glad to see you with a computer and back posting. When I get divisions of my bulbo gutulata(leopardinum) going i'll send you one.
I've got a friend (grower) in Ecuador who I've been considering contacting about bringing intermediate pleuro spp. in for me to test in vivs. I'll keep you posted if I can make it happen.
Tim,

sounds good. Definately keep me posted.

Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts