Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love frogs and I can't wait to learn more about them. I would love to chat with anyone who can help me get started. I live in Alaska, so any resoures available here would be great. I do not have a store in my town that provides much information. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to the boards....

The "sticky" threads here as well as the care sheets are a great place to start.

The Search function is your best friend, almost everything you need to know has been discussed more than a few times. If you run into any specific questions you can't find via search, we are happy to help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome !

Run down Beth for sure. After all, Alaska is such a small place. I am certain that she lives right around the corner from you. :D

Seriously, Beth has had to sort through a number of shipping issues for supplies. She can probably save you time and money by passing on her trials.

Read everything that you can here. It will make your head hurt at first but will all but virtually guarantee you a successful start with darts.

I will warn you now. They are dangerously addicitive. You'll find yourself using all available free time scheming for frogs, scheming for plants, or scheming for supplies for the next tank build. Run away now if you can.

Repeat after me.....

"I (insert name here)

have not done a tank build or purchased frogs or plants

in 11 days.
"

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Welcome !

Run down Beth for sure. After all, Alaska is such a small place. I am certain that she lives right around the corner from you. :D

Seriously, Beth has had to sort through a number of shipping issues for supplies. She can probably save you time and money by passing on her trials.

Read everything that you can here. It will make your head hurt at first but will all but virtually guarantee you a successful start with darts.

I will warn you now. They are dangerously addicitive. You'll find yourself using all available free time scheming for frogs, scheming for plants, or scheming for supplies for the next tank build. Run away now if you can.

Repeat after me.....

"I (insert name here)

have not done a tank build or purchased frogs or plants

in 11 days.
"
You forgot MONEY $$$$$ LOL......

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Alaska! Hope you don't get frostbite.

The first thing you should do before anything is gather a wealth of knowledge about frog species. This website is a good resource for that. Here are some caresheets:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/48976-species-list-links-care-sheets.html

I also really like saurian.net by Patrick Nabors, a good breeder; here is a link to some species profiles:
Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: Species List

I would also recommend buying a book. If you have wads of cash lying around, buy Lotters' Poison Frogs Amazon.com: Poison Frogs: Biology, Species & Captive Husbandry (9783930612628): Stefan Lotters, Karl-Heinz Jungfer, Friedrich Wilhelm Henkel, Wolfgang Schmidt: Books
If you're more on a budget there are also cheaper books with the basics. I like Amazon.com: Poison Dart Frogs: A Complete Guide to Dendrobatidae (Complete Herp Care) (9780793828937): Amanda Sihler, Greg Sihler: Books , but there are many other good choices too.

Another suggestion: if you do decide to keep frogs, make sure you have an established vivarium, food supply, and etc BEFORE you get the frogs.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the hobby...what some call the addiction:)

There is a wealth of information on this forum...spend some time exploring and you will find the answer to any question you can imagine.

-Field

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi DennyM, I'm Beth. I'm in Anchorage.

I'm local, but I do not keep frogs - I do build vivariums though, I'm working on my third right now.

There are a couple of us from Alaska here - I'm considering we should attempt group purchasing from vendors so that we can share shipping costs.

do you have frogs now, or are you planning some in the future? I'm considering next spring that I may add a frog or two to the stable. I currently specialize in geckos. I have rhacs and some mourning geckos.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Welcome !

Run down Beth for sure. After all, Alaska is such a small place. I am certain that she lives right around the corner from you.
Truthfully, alaska is the smallest town I've ever lived in ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts