Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Im here because my step daughter wanted a RETF... I did some research and have fallin in love w/ the Vivarium setup so im building my own.
Told step daughter hers will have to wait. Really I wanted to see what this is all about... I knew (reptile lover) that it was going be more than just buying a glass box w/ a frog in it.

So I have been trolling for about 62 hrs almost straight cople mins to eat sleep shower and play some Starcraft II but mostly reaserching (off from work for one more week) and have goten TONS of info from this and a few other sights.

Ok so here goes.
Zoo med T4 (18x18x24) Good deal... not best but not horible.
Foam/GS back ground in 2 pieces Back and right side. more on that later.
Water fall but not your average waterfall more on that later.
False egg crate bottom.
Bubbler ? Not sure yet. (aquarium air pump type, nothing big just to keep things stired up under false bottom, not to stired up to the soil soaked anyway.
Perhaps my own creation of mini sprinkler heads misting... perhaps mist king, not that far yet...
Heater needed? maybe in water (aquarium submers heater) or heater stick on mat to back of tank? not to hot but you know... not that far yet...
Plants in pond? saw something about some type of shrimp ?
My mind has been running wild for days lol
so anyway ill post pics and more questions and more questions and did i mention... lol
Im at this part of my build right now....
I bought drift wood from the aquarium store today and im about to start forming it in and i remeber something about boiling it first?

Help :)
any advice coments tips or even links to something posted would be great. Ill go work on something else till i find out whats up.

Thanks and GREAT SITE BTW!!!

Chad

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Welcome aboard! I'll hit a couple of those for you.
No bubbler required. I've only seen one reference ever, to using one.

I love eggcrate false bottoms.

Heater almost never required. Lights add a good bit of heat. If you use one, get a good temperature controller like a Ranco. The one in you heater sucks and will eventually stick and cook you viv.

We all think we can build something cheaper than MistKing. NOT! Just get the base model MistKing. It's a great product.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:DLearning as I go as well.
GS Layer....Dry... Layer...Dry... Layer...Dry...

Dont try what i did
WHOOOAHHHH:D Layer layer :Dweeeee this is fun Layer :DLayer. hrrrmmm looks good let dry;)... come back to :confused:Plop Plop hrmmm making mess :(not so good
DOH:eek:

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
:DLearning as I go as well.
GS Layer....Dry... Layer...Dry... Layer...Dry...

Dont try what i did
WHOOOAHHHH:D Layer layer :Dweeeee this is fun Layer :DLayer. hrrrmmm looks good let dry;)... come back to :confused:Plop Plop hrmmm making mess :(not so good
DOH:eek:
Hahaha! I think many of us did that on our first try. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Let me just point out, that you should lay the tank on its back when applying GS foam. It really does help it to stay when gravity is on your side. This is experience speaking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Zorloc, I am new to dart frogs as well but have dealt with driftwood in aquariums for quite some time. As far as the driftwood goes boiling can break down the natural fiber of the wood. This of course depends on the type of wood you got. Do you happen to know what type it is? Many stores currently stock mopani or grapewood. From what I understand, at least as far as aquariums go, mopani is a relatively "safe" wood, and I have had aquarium mosses, and plants readily attach to it.. I would guess it should be just a thorough rinse and go. I have heard that grapewood will quickly rot as compared to others, and I have never used it in my aquariums.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I bought drift wood from the aquarium store today and im about to start forming it in and i remeber something about boiling it first?
Another way to treat it (and the method I prefer, especially for larger pieces) is to soak it and then toss it in the oven at about 250 degrees for an hour. You can find varying temps/times on the board. Try searching for 'bake' or 'baking'.

I have heard that grapewood will quickly rot as compared to others, and I have never used it in my aquariums.
I hear this a lot too. In my experience (which is admittedly limited) grape wood is fine. It does mold over at first but that only lasts for a few days. I have grape wood in my viv from over a year ago. It is still fine, sturdy, supporting multiple plants. However, it is a softer wood and I do see areas that have been umm consumed by bugs. IMO this is a benefit. It seems like the microfauna prefer the grape wood to the harder woods. Maybe because it's easier to chew on :D .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hrm well im not sure what i have as a type.
I did call the aquarium shop they said these are ready to go,I can do any one of the sugestions you mentioned.
They said they drop them right in fresh and salt tanks.

Its very heavy and i had to cut a lil ***** of as it was just a lil to long, it was very hard wood.
But the 18v DeWalt cut her like butter. very dark brown sawdust.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Chad,

Nice to know another TX frogger.
You definately do not need a viv heater esp. in Texas, like mentioned the lights take and ambient temperature of your house will keep the viv temps fine.
The biggest thing I worry about is the heat in the summer so be sure your temps are not to hot, IMO the laser temp guns are the best for measuring temperature.
There are a few of us close to you and while I know Dallas are is quite a drive, we will have another TX Frog Meet this fall.
Feel free to PM me and I will give you my e-mail and cell number in case you need some help or have questions.

-Beth

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TY to all who have posted in responce to my questions.

Well so far I just about have the GS Silicone work done.
Decided to go with Grout mix to creat the tree trunk and Silicone + some sort of plantation mix for the rest of it.

My Viv can be seen from 3 of the 4 sides so im trying to hide the sides with a little more than just construction paper.

Not sure if it will turn out or not but we shall see.

Need to buy acrylic sealer after the grouting part.

Weres a good place to get acrylic paints to mix into the grut and for touch up work before sealing the tree home made trunk.

Learned a few things along the way already. (from my mistakes and from more research)

TY Beth I dont get to dallas much. (new to SA Actualy)
but maybe it would give me good reason to go :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts