Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to this board and looking to get myself some pdfs soon
I know the basic about darts but looking to learn more and get more into this hobby.

I also had a bit of questions

Carnivorous plants and dart frogs.. good? bad? risky?
Ground cover/mosses recommended for tanks? mosses outside my house are those safe for the frogs?
Any legality rules for darts? I'm in California

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know the basic about darts but looking to learn more and get more into this hobby.

Carnivorous plants and dart frogs.. good? bad? risky? Bad and Risky.. I saw a recent picture of leucomelas chasing a food item and getting stuck in a pitcher plant. I would say it depends on the size of your frog and the plant..

Ground cover/mosses recommended for tanks? mosses outside my house are those safe for the frogs? Ground mosses of the tropical variety are an excellent choice for darts, the moss outside your house may be temperate and require a cool down/dormant period and if kept in tropical conditions will die off/brown. These amy also be full of pesticides and unsafe for your frogs.

Any legality rules for darts? I'm in California
California is a major hub for shipments coming out of South and Central America and Madagascar, so I would do your homework to avoid any legal issues. It's a safe bet if someone is offering frogs from your state. There are many dart froggers available in California to assist in you obtaining legal captive bred frogs..

Hope you choose the hobby, it's very rewarding and beware YOU COULD GET HOOKED!!!!>..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
230 Posts
Start your tanks small ( 20 gallons) and work up.
I made a bad Newbie mistake 2007 and was to eager ( more like impatient) and I basically threw my first $1,500 in a huge tank that really tested my patience and wallet. So I keep things simple these days.. 18 x 18 x 24 zoo meds I'm using these days... Lol.

So many on here are very helpful!! My best advice. Buy your frogs from one of the sponsors here... Example.. Toxicfrogaddiction.com Saurian.net and other ones on this site. they really put ALOT of effort into sending QUALITY ( nice healthy looking frogs) these guys focus on one thing ( FROGS)

Saurian.net and aaafrogs.com are great when it comes to ideas of setting something up custom builds, light canopies

joshsfrogs.com ( great YouTube tutorial videos, awesome plants, great customer service
and fruit fly media that smells actually ok.. )

blackjungle.com ( GREAT for plants...terrarium supplies, Wood.. And fruit flies)

( I live in Palm Springs Ca) so I have NEVER had legal issues with having df shipped!!!

The only issue I have ( is the weather being to hot in the summer :-(

Hey have fun!!! Enjoy!! The addiction can be tough... Joke!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The search function is your friend :)

Carnivorous plants and dart frogs.. good? bad? risky?
I think I read that it was risky at best and most carnivorous plants like more acidic soil than we have in our tanks.

Ground cover/mosses recommended for tanks? mosses outside my house are those safe for the frogs?
LEAVES! Most, if not all, tanks I have seen have leaf litter in them. This provides a place for microfauna to live and breed, prevents the substrate from sticking to the frog, provides hiding/foraging places, and if your frogs are hiding in it it may be a sign of problems (i.e. to low of humidity). If you go with moss java and ricca seem to be the more common ones in the hobby. Moss from outside usually requires a dormant period and won't last long in vivariums. If you do collect your own make sure it's from a pesticide free area.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

1.Carnivorous plants and dart frogs.. good? bad? risky?
2.Ground cover/mosses recommended for tanks? mosses outside my house are those safe for the frogs?
3.Any legality rules for darts? I'm in California
I numbered these for ease of answering...
1. Generally I wouldn't even think of them because your new but in case you think your gonna try it http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/17044-carnivorous-plants-dendrobates-vivarium-guide.html

2. Moss looks good but I don't use it, leaf litter is way better
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/46634-leaf-litter-debate.html

3. There should be no issue with PDF's in cali - many of us are out there

and welcome :) this is a great and rewarding hobby

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the late reply, just moved and had no net for a while.
anyways thanks for all the replies and info given
ill look into what you all have contributed
and hopefully i can have a build log up soon! i want to have my setup running before i even think of ordering anything!
but don't be surprised if i have more questions hahaha
thanks again!

·
Registered
527 Posts
i'm in long beach, and there are quite a few froggers around here. i can connect you to people who have leaf litter and frogs for sale if you want. there are plenty of legal frogs available around here that you can pick up from different sponsors or local froggers.

2nd on the leaf litter comment. easiest way to get it is to buy some oak leaf litter from someone in the classified section. shoot me a PM if you want to talk more about local stuff and i'll help you find what you need.

good luck getting started,

brett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.