Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions on set up for a Auratus "Standard Hawaiian". I have a set-up with just some normal Green Tree Frogs. I would like to up grade my system to have dendros. Not with the greens of course. I have a 37 gallon with a Habba Mist system, screen top with 2 clamp lights with 60 watt plant lights. Do these frogs need flowing water? What type of lighting do I need to keep these? Im pretty new to frogs so any help would be GREAT. I can tell you anything you want to know about Reef tanks, but im looking for a new hobby. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I currently have 2 bronze auratus and while they don't necessarily need flowing water they do like to be wet. I probably spray mine down at least twice a day. They also like to sit the waterdish that I have provided

They like high humidity (around 90 or so) and seem to be rather forgiving when it comes to temperature.

As far as lighting, I currently am using a compact fluorescent 65w and they seem to like it just fine.

They are kind of shy as well...so giving them plenty of plants and what not to hide in if they want tends to make them happy too.

Hope this helped a little :).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey avs

remember me from RC?

well the frogs dont really need running water, misting the system daily will keep the tank moist enough, and unlike chameleons they dont have to drink from a running source, as long as you can keep the humidity in the terrarium high you shouldnt have problems.

your lighting is good, remember plants need the lights, but sometimes frogs dont like intense lighting (unlike reefs). as long as the light keeps the plants happy it will be fine.

As for auratus, they are great frogs, but they can tend to be more shy (some people here will say they are extremely brave). from my experience they were extremely shy. There are plenty of good "starter frogs" (which include auratus). look into the different species. i reccomend dendrobates auratus, dendrobates tinctotious, dendrobates azueres (although they can be pricey), dendrobates luecomelus, or phylobates terribilis (these are the ones you saw on reef central, eventually they will turn completely white).

shy away from the so called "thumbnail" species such as D. pumilio, D ventrimaculatus, D reticulatus etc. they are MUCH smaller than the previously mentioned frogs (hence the name "thumbnail" since they get about the size of a human thumbnail).

browsing through this forum gave me a bunch of good ideas for my vivarium, so flip through some threads you will definitely like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Farm and WeeMan. I saw your name in a thread and was sure it was you. Where are you at in Colorado? I used to live in Breckenridge. I still have a brother in Denver. Do you know of any good stores out there to get frogs? Have you been to Great Barrier Reef LFS in Denver? Great store. Thank again for your help. Im going shopping now for some good books.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i live in castle rock, a bit south of denver.

GBR is probably my favorite lfs. they just set up a whole frag tank with a butt load of different frags, all frags are 15$. but thats enough reef talk we might scare the froggers lol. at one point they were selling dart frogs but they wanted 200 dollars for one cobalt tinctorious which was a bit over my price range. i havnt seen any darts anywhere else though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Costa Rican auratus and they are not shy at all. From reading your post I 'd say get a glass top unless you live in an area that is humid most of the year.A full screen would let out alot of moisture where I live with forced air heat and the humidity in our house being 40% or less during the winter.
Others may say diffeent but if it gets too dry that is one cause of some auratus being more shy then others.That and age.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Mark W.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would be careful about the switch. A lot of green treefrogs are wc from Florida and have a huge parasite load. I'm not sure if I would just switch the frogs out, the viv could be crawling with parasites. Other than that your setup sounds good though.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Ok a couple things you will need to change:
1. Screen top will let in too much air and will dry out, you will want 80%+ humidity.
2. 2 60watt bulbs will make the tank WAY too hot. Try a normal tank light with a plant light in it.
3. Check out the links section and read up on the requirements. If you have more questions just let us know. :)

avshockey311 said:
I have a couple of questions on set up for a Auratus "Standard Hawaiian". I have a set-up with just some normal Green Tree Frogs. I would like to up grade my system to have dendros. Not with the greens of course. I have a 37 gallon with a Habba Mist system, screen top with 2 clamp lights with 60 watt plant lights. Do these frogs need flowing water? What type of lighting do I need to keep these? Im pretty new to frogs so any help would be GREAT. I can tell you anything you want to know about Reef tanks, but im looking for a new hobby. Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts