Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Brand new to the hobby, here. I've played around with freshwater aquaria, but I've never tried a vivarium.

This is my first build, and I'm planning on getting a few Leucs. It's a 29g fish tank that I'm reusing. While i'm not finished, any critiques would be more than welcome.

I do wish I had just gone ahead and put in a nice background but I was worried about ruining a tank in case I F-up. Next build though...

I do have a question about the temperature; when measuring it, should I be looking at the temp near the ground or the general air? It usually varies by a few degrees in the tank so far...

Thank you! :)

#Aaaaand I can't believe I misspelled "dendro"....*Facepalm*

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Re: New to Dendros, First build

Lookin' good so far! Might I suggest some more plants such as pothos, begonias, dwarf palms, ect, ect. Bigger, more lush plants with bigger leaves and maybe some more driftwood would make this look even nicer! What kind of false bottom did you use? The egg crate method or the hydroton method?

Edit: As I look at it again, you could do a peninsula-style vivarium with the background on the smaller sides of the tank instead of on the bigger back side. And then put one of the the smaller sides against the wall. If built right, they can make a great display vivarium.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's currently set up to separate the office area in my apartment from the living room. The big background is left over from when my roomie temporarily housed her snake in it.

Thanks for the plant suggestions, It is one thing I was scratching my head about.

# And I used LECA from some generic manufacturer this time around.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
One of the potential errors a lot of people make is by over planting the enclosures since many of the larger terrestrial frogs like leucomelas need some space to move around and over planting can restrict the frogs movement......

I would suggest waiting to see how it grows in.....

Ed

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love your viv, I am toying with the idea of "no background" myself. I love the planted looking background.
Good job and I am sure your luecs with love it!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Looks great! My only suggestion is to keep an eye out for a nice chunk of wood they can climb on. Leucs do like to do a bit of climbing and perching high up.

Welcome :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Welcome to DB and the world of dart frogs.
I think your tank looks nice. You did a god job for your first viv. Your fishkeeping experience will help you in this hobby, I have no doubts you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to Dendroboard! My main suggestion for this tank is that you move the broms somewhere else. Being planted in the substrate, which looks to be the case from your pictures, they will almost certainly rot quickly.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Welcome to Dendroboard! My main suggestion for this tank is that you move the broms somewhere else. Being planted in the substrate, which looks to be the case from your pictures, they will almost certainly rot quickly.
That depends on how well the substrate drains.. I've had bromeliads planted directly into the substrate for a number of years now.

Ed

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would get the bromeliads out of the substrate and mount with fishing wire or gardening wire, but like Ed said in some substrates brooms will thrive

·
Registered
476 Posts
Fair enough. I know, for example, that broms will go nuts in ABG mix.
really, maybe I should try that, but seriously mounting is probably best for newbs, I used to kill them constantly by planting them in the soil. besides they do so well tied to the wood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts