Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've done research on darts and feel confident I can keep them. I've raised and kept tarantulas for a few years now I want to care for some of these amphibian beauties. I have a few questions to ask right off the bat however.

1.) Whats the best way to prevent mold build up? Everything I've seen recommends a glass tank lid and some of my rain forest tarantulas even with ventilated lids get mold build up I have to clear out and clean up.

2.) Would a 10 gallon tank be enough for 3 D. Azureus?

3) Sorry if this is a stupid question. Are there any other reptiles or amphibians that would make safe tank companions for poison dart frogs? Or would their presence stress the frogs to much?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
791 Posts
1) Mold is inevitable, but usually after an initial bloom you never have to deal with a big amount again. Springtails also really help by eating it...

2) A pair is the most I think you'll ever see recommended for a 10 gallon on just about ANY PDF...

3)Not in a 10 gallon, heavily debated on wether it would even be ok in a 1,000 gallon...

·
Registered
532 Posts
As ocellaris123 said, a 10 gallon tank is not big enough for 3 azureus unless its a grow out tank. If you seed your tank with springs(which you should do) the springs will eat the mold and it should die off. As for the tankmates, unless you have a huge tank and you have a lot of experience, there isn't really anything else you can put in the tank with poison dart frogs. Welcome to the hobby... Its addicting! :D
Alex

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I keep several of my breeding pairs of Azureus in 10 gallon terrariums and they are quite content. If you are just setting-up a single tank for dart frogs, though, I would recommend a 20-long for the project. Azureus is not a "group" frog, so you'll want to work toward establishing a pair. If you acquire four froglets/juveniles, you are more likely to end-up with a breeding pair and can sell/trade the un-needed frogs to another frogger.

Good luck in the hobby! Richard.

Reactions: Ivan M
1 - 5 of 5 Posts