Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On Sept. 30th I became the proud owner of an Azureus Tinc. I had done some research into Bio-Active tanks and thought since I was building one for my needy begonias I thought that adding a frog would be super cool. I'm new to dart frogs, but have housed reptiles before and currently have a 6yr old MBKingsnake.

I opted for a tinc because I read they were good for beginners, were relatively cheap, and I LOVE THEIR BLUE! Also, as I've found, my tinc is a bold little bugger and it pleases me to see it feed on all the dusted FF's.

My tinc is housed in a 12x12x15 - I didn't want a large enclosure, and read that 10 gallons would suffice, though my enclosure is closer to 8. Before I purchsed my frog I got most of my info from Josh's Frogs and Youtube, but it now seems like maybe not all of the info was entirely spot on.

I'm working with a Bioactive setup and have a top layer comprised mostly of moss. This, however, does not seem to be the best practice. Fortunately, my Magnolia tree has begun to drop its leaves and I have a ready supply of leaf litter.
This is my current setup, since taking this picture, I've added some leaf litter, but I'm yet to remove the moss. Can I still have some moss in here? This is the Zilla 12x12x15 and I am currently using THIS AQUEON light with it. I keep the plastic lid on the zilla and my humidity ranges from 70-80.

Super open to feedback, critiques, etc. I want to give my froggy a nice home.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
Welcome!

I don't see the setup pic, but I'd like to. :)

You should really think about a larger viv in the near future -- an 18 x 18 footprint at least. For now, I'd suggest growing moss on some of the surfaces -- like the back wall, or even some horizontal wood pieces. The more options you give for surfaces that the frog can use, the better, and most of them should be not-moss.

If you repost the pic I'm sure folks can give good advice about how to use the space that you have most effectively.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You're going to need some more leaf litter ASAP. Do you have substrate in the Viv or is it just all Sphagnum?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is it just media from a broken down coco block? If so you're going to have to change out the substrate. I would highly recommend replacing the substrate and the sphagnum with ABG.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts