Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least I'm sick of that other one I started earlier today.

Here's the frog again. Does it look too thin? Anything I can do about that if so? I do have Repashy, now, too.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
He looks a little thin to me. You can put some banana smooshed into the cap of a soda bottle and put it in there as a feeding station. The flies will hang out on it and give him a place to go to get his food.

Pretty little frog :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
as long as you see he or she eating the dusted flies is a good sign. Keep a close eye on its weight. If the frog does not put on weight proceed with the search on the forum on how to treat frog for possible NASTIES Good luck.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Heres a tip i used to fatten up my frogs.

When I make my fly cultures, I set aside a small 4oz cup with a pin poked lid. I add a half inch of mixed FF media to the cup. I dont add any excelsior, coffeefilter, ect. Just media. Then I add the flies and allow them to do their thing. Soon you'll see maggots moving around. Once the side of the cup is covered in maggots, I scrape them off with a popsicle stick, and collect them in a separate, smaller container. I dust them with a pinch of vitamins (I use Repashy Calcium+) and add them into the viv on a leaf. If you have some fast maggots, the frogs should eat them up. If he maggots dont move much, give them a mega light mist and they should start crawling. After a while you'll also be able to spoon out maggots from the middle of the cup. It'll be crawling with maggots.

You can also spoon a spoonful of prepared FF media into a film canister. drill holes large enough for files to go in and out. put it in your tank and add a bunch (40+)flies around it. after a few days magots will crawls out and the frogs will eat them, the ones that get away, turn into to flies and get eaten too.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Heres a tip i used to fatten up my frogs.

When I make my fly cultures, I set aside a small 4oz cup with a pin poked lid. I add a half inch of mixed FF media to the cup. I dont add any excelsior, coffeefilter, ect. Just media. Then I add the flies and allow them to do their thing. Soon you'll see maggots moving around. Once the side of the cup is covered in maggots, I scrape them off with a popsicle stick, and collect them in a separate, smaller container. I dust them with a pinch of vitamins (I use Repashy Calcium+) and add them into the viv on a leaf. If you have some fast maggots, the frogs should eat them up. If he maggots dont move much, give them a mega light mist and they should start crawling. After a while you'll also be able to spoon out maggots from the middle of the cup. It'll be crawling with maggots.

You can also spoon a spoonful of prepared FF media into a film canister. drill holes large enough for files to go in and out. put it in your tank and add a bunch (40+)flies around it. after a few days magots will crawls out and the frogs will eat them, the ones that get away, turn into to flies and get eaten too.
I've done this too. Maggots are a good way to fatten up a frog in a hurry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts