Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm so glad I found this site as there is far more up to date information here than I could find locally (Cornwall UK).

Reefkeeping is my main hobby and business manufacturing coral and fish feeds, but the appeal of dart frogs was virtually instant after one of the local marine fish stockists got a few in.

Going on their advice i set up a exo 12x12x18 with coco soil top to bottom, plastic vine, heat & lighting. I wasnt happy with the plastic so planted a bromelaid, some mini palms etc, and then decided they would die quite quickly in the wet soil......48hrs of intense reading on this site later the set up was fully dismantled..................

Now we have a pepple drainage layer, topped with live sphagnum, then leaf litter. The plants are in pots with the coco soil sunk into the gravel, there is a waterfall and pool, a twisting dead vine (that may mould a bit) with an air plant, and more floor space (thinned the plants out)

I cut 2 glass rectangles to fit on top of the mesh lid, added water, let it drain down through the pebbles, and for a few days misted with pure water from my RO/DI water filter, temp is 20deg night, 26day (digital hi/low thermometer borrowed from our main reef tank), humidity 80%+ (exo dial, not that accurate but i can create condensation if i fully shut both top glass panels).

lights are 12hr, waterfall 24/7, everything stayed much the same for 4 days.

Fruit fly cultures are running on liquidised banana, brewers yeast, spirulina, white breadcrumbs and 1/2 a bottle of budweiser for the liquid, with a little white vinegar and a few rings of orange on the surface - fingers crossed but they seem to like it.

Great excitement yesterday as we collected our first froglet - a small tinctorious....does it have a morph name as well as there are several different looking frogs within the species?

This morning i guess thats a poop on his leaf? as it wasnt there before

I will add another tinc the same size in a week or so, and that will be it for the tank until they grow closer to adult, then we will set up a larger tank and if they are a pair move them over, if not we'll buy whichever sex we need for the pair.

I use vit & cal dusted fruit flies and was also recomended these micro silent crickets as a feed, but dont see them mentioned on this site much, are they less suitable, or ok as well ?

thanks for the wealth and depth of information on the site

Marcus

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome! Beautiful little frog! :D
thanks, even better I managded to video him catching a fly - the first one i've seen it eat so very happy about that.

If I buy the second one from the same place will it matter that they could be related / same brood if they end up as a breeding pair?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Being related is fine. It's more important to make sure that they are the same morph. Do you think the guy who sold him to you would know?

Might be better to get another one from the same shipment that the fish store guy got this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice, he had 4 delivered from same supplier on the same day, they all are the same size and very similar give or take a black spot here and there, i think i'll get the 2nd froglet tomorrow as they were all still in stock, rather than waiting and risking mixing frogs from different shipments.

cheers Marcus

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Great excitement yesterday as we collected our first froglet - a small tinctorious....does it have a morph name as well as there are several different looking frogs within the species?
It looks to me like you have a beautiful little D. Tinctorious Cobalt there. :)
However, you should always check with the person that you purchased it from to be sure.

Good Luck! Tincs are my favorite and I'm sure you'll love them too!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It looks to me like you have a beautiful little D. Tinctorious Cobalt there. :)
However, you should always check with the person that you purchased it from to be sure.

Good Luck! Tincs are my favorite and I'm sure you'll love them too!
Are you sure Wendy? This tinc looks more like a Patricia to me. The legs are too bright a blue for me to believe it is a cobalt. Then again there are variations within morphs. The only way to know for sure is to talk to the person you got them from.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey, I think you're right, Chris. I didn't notice it before, but yeah...the legs are quite a different blue. Guess I spoke too fast. But, the OP should still check with the people that he/she purchased it from and get as much info as possible. You never know... ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Keep doing your research on the site. As for the crickets, I have never fed them to my frogs. Try to get different fruit flies, woodlice or isopods, and springtails.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you feed crickets, make sure they are pinheads. The only problem I've had with feeding crickets is that if some get away from the frogs they will grow into adult crickets in the viv. I found this out with there were a few things jumping around a viv that I knew only had 1 frog in haha. I jumped back and thought I may have froglets that sprouted out of the ground :p, but nope just full grown crickets that are way too large for my darts to eat. I feed pinhead crickets to diversify my feeders, but FF's are the staple for my frogs diet.

-Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feeding advice - we are sticking with FF's for daily feeds, there is a breeding population of woodlice in there now and i'll keep an eye out for any grown on crickets.

We managed to get another T. Patricia from the same shipment and both seem very happy with each others company

All the plants are living well and growing, humidity holds up well and I am so glad I re-did the viv after reading the info on the site - the live sphagnum moss and oak leaf litter over a 2" layer of gravel & water is so much better than just saturated coco soil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts