Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it's my first post on this forum (I usually post on Kingsnake as Agrrlandherguy) and I thought I would share my new terrarium. I just finished it and placed the frogs in it today!

This is my first terrarium that has a background for mounting plants. I had never done one before so I was plesantly pleased that it turned out ok. I used Great Stuff and coco fiber for the back and then siliconed a piece of cork bark to it as well. I then mounted my plants and also used LECA for the substrate. It has a pool of water that you can see on the right side of the tank, it is lined with black gravel.

This tank is currently home to my D. Leucomela and my Siruname Colbalt Tinc. They have been sucessfully housed together for almost 2 months now with no incident. This tank (10 gallon) is a temporary home for the two of them while I am constructing a second 10 gallon so that they can live seperately and I can house multiples of the same species together.

Oh and yes, I know the toothpicks are showing. I left them the original color and long since this is my first tank and I want to be able to change things around if the placement isn't working. :D

Thanks for looking!

Full view

Middle of the tank

Right side of the tank

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
There is no soil...I would add a layer of fiberglass screen and then a soil mix. I usually do 1 part coco fiber 1 part peat moss 1/2 part orchid bark. It seems to do good with thte plants. Just not too many plants i know of that will do fine in pure terralite.

But all in all it looks like it has great pottential. Good job!

Ryan

·
Vendor
2,858 Posts
I have a tank that has no soil, but only hydroton (another brand of clay pellets). My plants do fine in it. Do people who grow stuff using clay pellets indoors use something else as soil and then terra-lite under it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually don't like the idea of soil, so I have been finding ways not to use it. I don't want the frogs dragging it into the water and making it cloudy and I don't like the over all "mess" it creates. The pothos, the devils ivy and the creeping fig are the only plants using the LECA for soil and we all know that they will grow anywhere. The other plants are air plants and are mounted on the wall so I think we are ok as far as the plants not having soil.

Thanks for the imput.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
!

What are you saying? You don't like my coco pebble look? :)

I plan on covering it somewhat with leaf litter eventually but I am trying to keep the whole thing as basic as possible so I can focus on the plants on the wall for right now. Since this is my first one, basic is good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You could even put some java moss on the clay pellets and watch it slowly cover the ground. Mimimal work with nice results if it's wet and bright enough.

Nice tank. I like them simple as well. I just set up a small tank last night. Took me 2 hours from start to finish. No background though and took cuttings from other tanks for plants.

-Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moss?

I do like the idea of the moss.... will it grow well with only the LECA to cover and no soil? Where is the best place to get it anyways? I haven't come across any kinds of moss I REALLY like.

Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Java moss will grow on the Leuca balls as long as it is wet and bright enough. Black Jungle sells various mosses. Other froggers in your area may have some as well as fish stores. They sometimes have java moss. It is an aquatic/terrestrial species. In the water it's kinda stringy, but it grows nicer on land.

-Bne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts