Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hi everyone, I recently redid my mini mossy frogs' 15 gallon aquarium. The setup used to be half land and half water, but I noticed they the vast majority of their time in the water so I decided to take everything out and start over.

After I took everything out of the tank and cleaned it, I first made the background. I had never done an actual background before because there is something unappealing/unnatural about using foam or paint or a bunch of glue in an enclosure. That's why I was very happy when I saw a video on The Dart Frog Queen's youtube channel about making a background using only cork and sphagnum moss. I essentially glued cork flats to one side of the tank, siliconed them in, then filled in the cracks with sphagnum moss. This part is really important because ALL nooks and crannies need to be filled so frogs don't get stuck.

I purposely did this all the way to the bottom of the tank because I was making the tank all water. So, basically it is just an aquarium with 4 or so inches of water and a cork background. I also added a partially submerged cork round they like to hide in. This is also where I put the crickets when I feed them. For plants I only have neon pothos right now, I am waiting to try and find some more suitable plants for this type of vivarium. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oh and I also used aquarium gravel and leaf litter for the aquatic subsrate. I really like how the leaves look under water and the frogs love hiding under them.

Anyways, I have some pictures below, let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 296923 View attachment 296924
View attachment 296918 View attachment 296919 View attachment 296920 View attachment 296921 View attachment 296922

Hi everyone, I recently redid my mini mossy frogs' 15 gallon aquarium. The setup used to be half land and half water, but I noticed they the vast majority of their time in the water so I decided to take everything out and start over.

After I took everything out of the tank and cleaned it, I first made the background. I had never done an actual background before because there is something unappealing/unnatural about using foam or paint or a bunch of glue in an enclosure. That's why I was very happy when I saw a video on The Dart Frog Queen's youtube channel about making a background using only cork and sphagnum moss. I essentially glued cork flats to one side of the tank, siliconed them in, then filled in the cracks with sphagnum moss. This part is really important because ALL nooks and crannies need to be filled so frogs don't get stuck.

I purposely did this all the way to the bottom of the tank because I was making the tank all water. So, basically it is just an aquarium with 4 or so inches of water and a cork background. I also added a partially submerged cork round they like to hide in. This is also where I put the crickets when I feed them. For plants I only have neon pothos right now, I am waiting to try and find some more suitable plants for this type of vivarium. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Oh and I also used aquarium gravel and leaf litter for the aquatic subsrate. I really like how the leaves look under water and the frogs love hiding under them.

Anyways, I have some pictures below, let me know what you guys think.
Looks great, you should look into some java ferns for the water section, they are tough and will grow emersed and add some climbing spots. They do not need any substrate either

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thats a good suggestion ill have to see about getting my hands on some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts