Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
my name is brandon and im starting a new set up for my 3 mantella, peacock day gecko, 2 pigmy chameleaon and my cobalt blue that is soon to arrive. i just bought the 70 gal e series from oceanic systems and i need some help. i have spent quite a bit of money and now i need to know if spanish moss behind chicken wire will work as a good background for planting broms and other rain plants. i figure it would but would like to have an opinion cus im trying to save a little money here. also i would like to know if anyone uses coco bark and coal as a substrate and how it fares in these rainforest climates. and is there a ratio to mix the substrate for a proper balance?

thanks all

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Are you planning on putting them all in the same tank? If so, you may want to reconsider. In general, mixing species is a bit complicated for a beginner. Yes, people do it successfully, but you have to consider the animals and the type of environment the animals come from carefully.

Mantellas are from Madagascar, and prefer it more cool than darts. Being from such diverse areas, (and the fact that most mantellas are wild caught) they could possibly carry diseases that the host is immunte to, but that might harm each other.

By pygmy chameleons, I assume you mean either Rhamopholen brevicaudatus or one of the Brookesia species? These guys are really small, some of them are about the size of darts themselves. Chameleons in general need a lot of ventilation, and would suffer from respitory infections if housed in a dart tank. Chameleons are also very anti-social, and most species get very stressed when the sexes are housed together.

The gecko is really large compared to the other inhabitants. I can just see a dart doing the old toe twitch thing, and the gecko chomping the dart on the foot thinking it was food.

If you really want to use the same tank, you might try using glass dividers. That way you could probably house the dart, mantellas, and gecko all in the big tank, and use Reptariums for the chameleons.

As for your background question, there was a thread in the advanced section about a similar setup. The results weren't all that great, according to the person who had tried it. A moisture gradient developed with the top areas drying out and the bottom areas being constantly moist and rotting. If you're looking for a background material that will cover large areas and not cost too much, pick up a few cans of Great Stuff. It's a foam sealant for cracks in houses, and people have used it with a lot of success. You spray the foam, shape it as best as you can, and then cover it with dried coco bedding while it's still tacky. Black Jungle has a link to the step by step of a tank using this method here:

http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html

G

·
0 Posts
I dont mean to be a sooth sayer or anything but i think kyle is righ. Also those lizard lounges aren't really made to hold much water.
On as side note i spent so much money on my tank changing it over and over. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually....

actually i have a very successful tank already, its just a smaller scale. i traded spanish moss for sphagnum for the background and made chckn wire and wood frame. as for mixing of the species i have a ton of success. all the animals listed have lived comfortably with each other in a 20 gal long. if you mix species you just have to do some research and find out what each individual requires and climatize. im no expert but im not a begginer, this is my first time i have owned dendros. tomarrow i will start fillng the tank with sand, eco-earth, charcoal, and a layer of sphagnum soon to be topped with pillow moss. ill let it sit for a few days so everything can settle then ill post the images of my new tank. as for the tank not holding water i have my water all contained in my waterfall system. working great and cant wait to use it in my new tank. thanks for the replies and if any of you have ever wanted to mix species just do the research and you can make you own judgements.
thanks,
brandon

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
all the animals listed have lived comfortably with each other in a 20 gal long.
My goodness...

thanks for the replies and if any of you have ever wanted to mix species just do the research and you can make you own judgements.
I don't agree witht hat at all.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
They may appear healthy, but are probally going through hell. Terrified of being the other animals lunch and angry over territory etc. Spend the extra effort to care for them and put htem in their own enclosure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts