Dendroboard banner

New "Southern" Ranitomeya variabilis

13K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  VicSkimmr 
#1 ·
Received 4 of these from Adam last week. They're 10 months oow. I'm very happy with them because of their boldness and the sheer vibrance of the colors. I purposefully designed their terrarium to have a low amount of bright green so that they are easily spotted. I had the pleasure of seeing (and feeding) Ray/Stemcellular's "Highland" variabilis in late 2009 and by comparison the "Southern" race is definitely larger and very bold (and prettier in my opinion).

Notice how the first frog could pass for a CV imitator!

See less See more
#11 ·
Oh, they move alright. Patience and experience help though. Mind you, these are easy to photograph when compared to wild salamanders (what i spend most of my free time photographing).

Very nice...any chance we can get a FTS, your description of it has me very interested.
I'll try. I'm a little ashamed that the tank isn't very big but it's all I have to hand right now.

im interested in seeing a picture of the "striped" one, if you get the chance!
Stripy is a very jumpy frog. I only photographed it once or twice but I'll put one up. Thanks for these great frogs Adam.

#10 ·
oh man, it really isnt fair to take such great pictures of the frogs i just sent you ;) im interested in seeing a picture of the "striped" one, if you get the chance!

and as others said, im interested in seeing their tank.

#12 ·
Congrats on the beautiful frogs, John! As always, amazing photography! I really NEED to learn how to use my camera! I loved the contrast of colors between the leaf and the target(frog)! Very nice!!!

JBear

#19 ·
Dang, John. They are gorgeous. And, I must add that your photography makes every frog look great. You're not photo-shopping a little extra color touch up here and there, are you? :D JK You could make prints on canvas and offer them for sale. I bet there'd be a lot of takers.

#23 ·
Would you mind sharing a little info on your camera setup. Right now I can take a better picture with my damn iPhone (of my frogs) than I can with my ?Nikon D70. I know for sure I need a better lense for close ups.

Also definitely very interested in a FTS as well. I always like to see pictures of members vivariums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.