Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new 12x12x18 viv for a pair of azureus. Yes, it is small, but I am going to make my mistakes on a small scale, not a large one. My next viv will probably be a 18x18x24 or larger (I like the exo terrariums or zoo med ones).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
looks great. my only advice would be to forgo the moss and go with leaf litter. It makes it look more natural and gives microfauna a place to live

·
Banned
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some leaf litter in there, have a magnolia in my front yard. But I like the green of the moss since I dont have room for many plants, so waiting for the moss to establish before I add too many leaves. I have a micro-mini Sinningia coming yet that will be on top of the chuck of wood in the front left corner as well.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sorry, but I have to back up the leaf litter suggestion. You have a pair of terrestrial, ground loving frogs, and almost no ground space. With wood features already eating into your space, you really should reconsider whether or not you can afford to waste ground space with the moss. Think about putting the moss on your wood features and putting leaf litter over what little ground space is available.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have some leaf litter in there, have a magnolia in my front yard. But I like the green of the moss since I dont have room for many plants, so waiting for the moss to establish before I add too many leaves. I have a micro-mini Sinningia coming yet that will be on top of the chuck of wood in the front left corner as well.
There is an attraction to the moss. Like stated its really a waste on the ground, most of it will die out pretty fast when you add frogs. The first time you feed the frogs the flies will carry the dusting all over and your moss will start to die out. More leaf litter for sure. You should come up and see what they are talking about with leaf litter in my tanks.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
With bigger frogs it's not as noticeable, but there's a pretty big behavior difference in frogs when there's leaf litter present. They get bolder when they know they can duck into the leaves and disappear. I like moss a lot, and it has it's place, but dont neglect the leaf litter!

·
Registered
564 Posts
+1 to what they said. Once the tank has time to grow in, your moss will probably get shaded out by that vine anyways and die off (if the vitamin powder doesn't get it first). My first tank was a 10g vert, and I added moss on some wood but it didn't last long for this very reason. If you're going to build a bigger tank, just hold off on the moss until there's room to put it on some wood. A couple inches of leaf litter will be way more beneficial in that small space.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have to agree with everyone. I put some moss in my first viv, just a couple of inches worth right at the front of the viv, just as a nice little foreground....it died, moss usually dies. If your viv were my viv I would ditch the little water feature and the moss entirely and put a good 3 inches or more of leaf litter in there. It would give the frogs numerous places to hide and exhibit more natural behaviors. Just my 2 cents. Good luck BrianWI, keep us posted.

·
Banned
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not a water feature, just a dish. I figured I'd tackle a waterfall or such in my next bigger viv.

I do have a bunch of leaves I "baked" and are ready to go. But since there are no frogs, I left most out (except I did put the leaves behind the wood in the back corner already).

Oddly enough, in the 1.5 weeks the moss has been in there, it has grown a bit, both the stuff under the litter and in the front. But if it dies out, I'm not too attached to it. It will feed the micro fauna. I would actually like to get some good ground cover plant.

What does the vitamin powder do that kills moss?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
D. tinctorius azureus are big frogs, that require a lot of space -- terrestrially -- in order to maneuver around, and have happy, healthy conditions. A 12 x 12 footprint will NEVER be enough room for one of these monster dart frogs, let alone a pair of them. Minus space from the water dish.

I'd just work on growing plants in there, or maybe getting a green tree frog or something to put in there.

Then, when you get a 20 gallon tank or larger...you are ready for D. t. azureus.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
D. tinctorius azureus are big frogs, that require a lot of space -- terrestrially -- in order to maneuver around, and have happy, healthy conditions. A 12 x 12 footprint will NEVER be enough room for one of these monster dart frogs, let alone a pair of them. Minus space from the water dish.

I'd just work on growing plants in there, or maybe getting a green tree frog or something to put in there.

Then, when you get a 20 gallon tank or larger...you are ready for D. t. azureus.
You don't need a 20 for a pair of tincs!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
it contains calcium. the moss loves acidic conditions and the calcium will raise the ph and kill it. this is why they spread lime over shady lawns to get rid of moss.
Most of my moss on the floor of my viv died out from ff powder dusting but I never thought to ask why. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree,drop the moss and even the big water bowl and use a lot of leaf litter and maybe a shallow dish. And for those guys you would be better off with a larger foot pattern instead of the height. Looks nice though,just more suited for a day gecko.

·
Banned
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The pair has been in there a week and a half now, they seem to be doing well. One seems to spend most of its time on the background ledges or in the plants. Climbs a lot for being terrestrial!

The other hid in the leaves a lot at first, but now is out and about most of the time. The only change I made was adding a few more leaves and I replaced the philodendron with a smaller plant.

The moss is still in there, growing like a weed. The powder hasn't hurt it yet, but I assume will take awhile to build up to a bad enough level to kill it. Doesn't seem to care if it is in a dark spot or in the light, the moss just wants to grow. The one frog sits on a patch in the back alot.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Is this 12 x 12 foot print a temporary enclosure for the pair of Dendrobates tinctorius azureus? How old are they? Are you setting up a more permanent one soon? I think your frogs would thank you for that tremendously...'hydroballs or not'.

·
Banned
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, this is a "practice" viv for dart frogs. I think I will go for a 18x18 or 18x24 for this pair as their final destination. But for now, smaller is better. I am looking for low maintenance methods as a priority, managing ventilation vs humidity, don't want to have to removed water from misting, etc. Once I have that down, scaling up will be easy.

They may or may not be a true pair, not mature yet either. They seem to be doing well for now.

Practicing culturing food and fauna as well. All in all, let the failures be small, correctable, and with least impact on the welfare of the frogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts