Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am setting up my tank for tincs (surinam cobalts) and I was wondering how many males/female I can house in a 55 gal long tank? I know females don't get along but with such a large tank will it be a problem having 2 females if there are ample hiding spaces, laying spaces and perches? Ideally I'd like 6-8 in the tank at a 4:1 ratio. Is this possible? Can I start them in the 55gal (after the acclimation period) or should I start them in a smaller tank? And one last question, can you mix tincs with anything else like an aboreal species? Thanks for any input.

Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mike, you should be able to house 2 pairs, a 3:2 or a 4:2 group in a 55 if you provide (as you said you will) ample hiding places and visual barriers in the enclosure. I have kept 1:2 groups of dwarf tincs and azureus in 30 gallon enclosures will little evidence of fighting, in fact I got viable eggs from both female tincs. I have had this discussion with others but there seems to be a lot less aggression between females that are raised from froglets together, my assumption is that they established a pecking order very early in development and continued it into adulthood.

I would recommend that you do not start the frogs in an enclosure as large as a 55 if you are getting juveniles. It can be done and many people have started frogs like this in the past (me included) but it is so much easier to monitor feeding and health issues of young frogs in a smaller enclosure. If you are getting adults.....bigger might be better for a group of tincs.

Mixing species is a hot topic, and there are a dozen threads here on the pros and cons. Let me say that my cobolts climb a LOT, my female spends at least 50% of her time off the floor level of the enclosure.

Hope this helps
Ed

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "visual barrier" you mean plantings to obstruct the view from one side of the viv to the other correct? I don't want to have to divide the tank with glass as I have had to in the past.
I'm getting back into PDF's after a short scientific exposure to them. I had 4 D. pumilios which were loaned to me for my study.

G

·
I wouldn't put more than 6 in there. I have 3 year old plus tincs, in my 29 and they seem a little cramped for space. I plan on moving them into a 65 (where hopefully I can eventually house another 3 of their offspring).

-Tad

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tad. 6 could be good for me. Because the 55 is long I just don't want it to look void of life other than plants. What morph do you have? how is thier behavior and where'd ya get 'em?
Mike

G

·
I've got 3 Suriname cobalts, they climb a good deal. I think I have 1 male and 2 females, and its interesting watching them interact a regular soap opera. Even though they are rather large (about 2 inches) I still see them disappear into the cork tile back ground from time to time. The often spend the night there or on top of the biggest plant in the viv. I got them from Mike Notovky (sp?) aka rainforest junkies at the columbus reptile show.

-Tad

·
Registered
561 Posts
Correct, By visual barriers I meant plantings, wood, rocks basically places to allow an animal to escape aggressive behavior without actually having to hide.
Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts