Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if this looks like new roots or mold to you guys. I have finally put an occupant into my vivarium (crested gecko). He went a little crazy the first few nights and pretty much destroyed/dislodged everything I had planted. All of the broms got pulled off of the background or turned upside down. The smaller more delicate plants were trashed and pulled out. This is the bottom of a bromeliad that popped off of the wood it had been mounted to. I don’t remember seeing fuzz the first time it rooted but I have recently made a couple changes to keep things more humid so wondering if it’s mold or just normal rooting when in a more humid environment.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Im a bit uncomfortable saying this, since its a done deal but, its kind of a small space for that guy.

If i had to put an adult crested in there i would secure a couple slats of cork or branch across the empty expanse to give him more comfort in surface value. And nothing too twiggy. Note the somewhat flattened carriage. They like to be Against bark surfaces. Actually theyve adapted to count on it.
It also looks like there is no way he can bask really. Its not really the same thru a pane of glass.
They bask cryptically while asleep

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for responses.

No problem KMC I appreciate your input. The viv is an 18x18x24. The picture does make it look a bit smaller to my eyes. There are a couple of branches that traverse the open space that are obscured by the dracaena in the photo. That plant was a late addition to give him some more cover and he seems to like sleeping on the ghostwood below the leaves. In the upper portion of the background there is also a big horizontal cork tube with an 80 F basking spot on top. The temps drop from there through the 70’s and down to about 68 F at the bottom of the front doors. He has changed his sleeping spot daily and I find him on the glass every couple days or so. It’s almost like he freezes where he is when the lights come on. I will put up some more pics, let me know if you still think it’s a poor setup. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
No i didnt say that, that it was a poor set up.

In the forefront open area i see where what i mentioned would be utilized.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey sorry didn’t mean to put words in your mouth, the way I wrote that looks kind of harsh but I was really just asking for more of what you thought as I don’t want to have him in an inadequate setup. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Oh no. I sure didnt mean anything like that either. Thank you for receiving my comment in the spirit intended!

As a definite positive is the nice curtain of privacy you created with the plant in front of the lower perches you pointed out.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
You might trim or remove that tether. It may never cause a problem. Even unlikely. But its possible.

A thin mini zip tie will hold those. With a dot of glue gun on the sharp edged lock, or very tight with the lock positioned so that its tucked away from possible animal contact. Crested can tend to move in dashy spurts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woke up this morning to find him up on the glass again so I let my son finally have some gecko time while I made some changes : ). I pulled the coconut and vine out and replaced with a cork tube, added a large tall ghostwood branch diagonally across the back by the pothos and put in a platform 1/3 up from the bottom in the back right with a big slab of cork. This does definitely give him some more usable surface and hiding places. Hopefully he will not be on the glass again tomorrow morning. Thanks again, Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts