Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new recipe. I have tried adding cinnamon and other additives to decrease the awful smell and avoid the "black mold of death".

I need someone or anyone to provide an actual recipe with measurements. My experiments have failed or stink to high heaven. I used to use the "power mixture", but it stinks. I have recently purchased Josh frogs mixture, but thats really not financially effecient for my budget.

Please help! I have 14 very hungry frogs and I am trying to keep making cultures every 3 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The Repashy Superfly mix in large bulk amounts is very cost effective and is sold by several vendors here. Most non-smelly mix I have ever used.
I use the below but exclude the grape juice from it (better yield and less smell)

The "Power Mix"
By Chis Miller

I have been using a mixture of potato flakes, sugar, and Fleischman's activated yeast for years now. But, after adding a lot of mouths to feed to my collection, I had decided I was going to have to find something that made a lot more flies per jar. With input from a lot of different sources (Dave and Erin, Tracy Hicks, Jutti,) etc , I have composed a mush that has QUADRUPLED
my fly production. I have had very little problem with mold, and the cultures seem to last for at least a month or longer.

In a pot bring the following to a boil.
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/8th cup Dark molasses
1/2 can of grape juice concentrate
2-3 overripe mushed up bananas

After bringing this mixture to a boil, add the dry material

1/2 cup malt of meal
2/3 cup potato flakes
1/3 cup Brewers Yeast (the key ingredient)

Place about 2 inches of medium in each qt size jar, and sprinkle maybe an 1/8th teaspoon of activated yeast on the top. A day later, 20-30 flies are added. I have tried this medium with my hydei and melanogaster and I can't believe how many larvae are swarming the sided of the jar, I literally can't see through the glass jar, they cover every square inch of glass. For the first 10 days, I keep the cultures in cardboard boxes which are kept closed, after that, I keep them on a large shelf to help the larvae dry out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
out of curiosity how are you succeeding with cultures every 3 weeks. is that working out for you? i tend to make new cultures about 12 days apart to always have extra in case of a crash. but i do have a lot of adults and juveniles to feed. just seems that cultures that far apart is asking for a possible situation where you don;t have any producing fly cultures when you need them.

sorry to get off subject. any of the potato flake cultures work out great for me. secret i learned a long time ago is make more than enough and don't wait too long between them. some people use mold inhibitors others don't has to be a personal choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is one of the reasons I have been hesitant to breed fruit flies. I've been using flour beetles which my frogs love. Usually they eat the larvae though. I've watched them eat the beetles a couple times and spit them out. Maybe they taste bad or something? If you really hate the smell of the cultures there's an alternative. They're very easy to keep and no smell!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
FFs are THE staple food for darts. you really need them in order to successfully keep darts. (before anyone comes in and says you dont, i know its POSSIBLE, but you'd certainly need more variation than flour beetle larvae, and it would definitely be a far greater pain in the @ss than just making FF cultures)

james

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I use cinnamon in my media, it takes care of the smell.

Here is the recipe I use:
8 cups Potato Flakes
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup brewers yeast
3-4 tsp. methyl parabon
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. paprika
Mix equal parts media/water - I tend to add more water in the winter.

Josh's Frogs has methyl parabon and brewers yeast.
I keep my brewers yeast and powdered sugar in the fridge.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
This is one of the reasons I have been hesitant to breed fruit flies. I've been using flour beetles which my frogs love. Usually they eat the larvae though. I've watched them eat the beetles a couple times and spit them out. Maybe they taste bad or something? If you really hate the smell of the cultures there's an alternative. They're very easy to keep and no smell!
Flour beetles like many of the beetles in that family have a foul odor that is released when stressed. This is why most frogs refuse them.

Ed

·
Registered
747 Posts
I use a simple recipe that works very well and has high yields for me. As for smell, it smells like bananas and when the culture goes bad, the smell is hardly noticeable

I simply boil 2 apples, 2 pears, 2 peaches and 4 bananas in about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of water, about 1/2 cup of bragg's apple cider vinegar, about a teaspoon of molasses, and let it boil down pretty good. Once the cooking is done, I use wheat germ to thicken it up. Usually doesn't take much as there is not much water left. The wheat germ gives it a nice texture that holds it's form well. once it is cooled a bit, I add about 1/2 inch per jar and then sprinkle my yeast on top.

I think the bragg's natural apple cider vinegar really help it from going bad and stinking. There is usually a thin white layer of mould the first couple days but it disappears fast then the media looks great and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is the recipe I use. I'm not sure which thread I found it on, I just restructured it for the kids to follow (yes, I believe in child labor :D).

I use this simple recipe.

Dry Ingredients

- 6 parts instant potato flakes
- 1 part powdered brewers yeast
- 1 part powdered sugar

Add 1/2 cup to each FF cup.

Boil water.

I use 1/2 cup of boiling water and 1/4 cup of vinegar.

Mix thoroughly.

Add excelsior.

After this I microwave them. (1.5 min)

Add Lid. Let cool to touch.

Next add dry active baker's yeast to the culture. NOT ALOT, just a small small pinch. Were talking 20 grain tops.

Add FF.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Keep in mind that antifungals can also prevent growth or slow growth of yeast which allows other microbes to over grow the cullture.

Typically real foul odors early on in the cultures it is typically an overgrowth of some other bacteria, probably facultative anaerobes or anerobic bacteria (or groups of bacteria). Microwaving the cultures until hot and then seeding with live baker's yeast once the culture cools off will help prevent the colonization by those bacteria. If you are still having issues with smell then you can do one of several things, you can try cinnamon, honey or even mixing the above recipe 50/50 with real carolina mix or other medias.

The issues with black mold (Aspergillus niger) is a little more problematic as you can't use flies from those cultures to seed new cultures as that just transfers the spores (I would suggest discarding cultures, and not even opening them in the house), you also have to make sure that none of your collecting equipment or culturing equipment are contaminated. If you resterilize all of those and can use flies from a clean culture, you can eliminate most of the risk by microwaving the cultures and letting them cool covered.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I use cinnamon in my media, it takes care of the smell.

Here is the recipe I use:
8 cups Potato Flakes
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup brewers yeast
3-4 tsp. methyl parabon
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. paprika
Mix equal parts media/water - I tend to add more water in the winter.

Josh's Frogs has methyl parabon and brewers yeast.
I keep my brewers yeast and powdered sugar in the fridge.
what does the powdered sugar and paprika do?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've never had a problem with really smelly cultures stinking the place up.
Same. I use the Josh's Frogs stuff without any smells and have yet to have mold. I make a culture every 2 weeks and dispose of old cultures after 3 weeks. Basically this gives my other culture enough time to boom before my other one runs out. I am always feeding excess flies to my fish, as my cultures produce a lot of flies!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
what does the powdered sugar and paprika do?
paprika supplies beta carotene (which can be supplied less expensively through other sources), powdered sugar is a source of food for the yeast.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Same. I use the Josh's Frogs stuff without any smells and have yet to have mold. I make a culture every 2 weeks and dispose of old cultures after 3 weeks. Basically this gives my other culture enough time to boom before my other one runs out. I am always feeding excess flies to my fish, as my cultures produce a lot of flies!

anything you have noticed that gives you better results with JOSH's media. i get half the results using JOSH's compaired to others.

·
Registered
220 Posts
anything you have noticed that gives you better results with JOSH's media. i get half the results using JOSH's compaired to others.
I have only ever tried Josh's media. I'm not opposed to other medias, but what I use works. I have more then enough flies to feed my frogs and extras for my fish to snack on :cool:

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have made a really good mixture, if I would compare rephasy and joshs, it's a little close to joshs media production. It is stinky if you don't add extra cinnamon, but it's really nice.
6 cups potato powder
6 cups creamy wheat
2 cups brow sugar
1/4 cup (1 cup for best smell) cinnamon
1/4 cup of active yeast (i've tried with brewers, didn't see much of a difference in anything, but I bake bread so always have active yeast on hand)
a few large pinches of paprika
~1 cup vinegar

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have made a really good mixture, if I would compare rephasy and joshs, it's a little close to joshs media production. It is stinky if you don't add extra cinnamon, but it's really nice.
6 cups potato powder
6 cups creamy wheat
2 cups brow sugar
1/4 cup (1 cup for best smell) cinnamon
1/4 cup of active yeast (i've tried with brewers, didn't see much of a difference in anything, but I bake bread so always have active yeast on hand)
a few large pinches of paprika
~1 cup vinegar
the bakers and brewers yeast serve 2 different purposes so you cant just substitute bakers.
brewers yeast is what supplies protein whereas the bakers is simply added to out-compete other potentially harmful fungal problems. in truth you shouldnt NEED to add any bakers yeast since living yeast is transfered to new cultures on the flies.

brewers yeast is ESSENTIAL to a working FF media.

james

1 - 20 of 64 Posts