Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought the frogs so I will be doing a 30-45 day qt.

I have 3 viv's at the moment I could put them in. But I want to make sure I get three fecals done before they go into any of them.

-B

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gotta say I love that qt tank. Not only is it good to see posts about good habits and not just rushing into throwing the frogs in a tank, but the tank itself is simple yet awesome looking. Have been contemplating using lids from various jars and some plastic cups for deposit sites for my pums.

Vinny

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what really ticks me off the most is infected frogs in the viv. In the reef world you can just go for awhile with no fish in your tank and your pretty much good. In frog world you put an infected frog in a viv..... That viv is toast. Now with the time I have invested in the few vivs I have and the time I have seen others invest. I would honestly say it just seems practical to trash the whole thing.

So I would be furious to have to trash one of my vivs

So I QT.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think what really ticks me off the most is infected frogs in the viv. In the reef world you can just go for awhile with no fish in your tank and your pretty much good. In frog world you put an infected frog in a viv..... That viv is toast. Now with the time I have invested in the few vivs I have and the time I have seen others invest. I would honestly say it just seems practical to trash the whole thing.

So I would be furious to have to trash one of my vivs

So I QT.
Sadly I have done that before....My first frogs I just threw them in there and they came back with hooks (top it off, they were in a 55 gallon :eek: )

Long story short that sucked and I now QT all my new additions. My auratus have been properly QT'd, cured of hooks, and happy/healthy now....but you always gotta QT BEFORE so you dont lose everything. I saved some plants, but thats about it....

ANYWHO, I like your QT, simple, but practical. Nice job !!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Do you have to QT even if picking up from a well-known place? (saurian, Josh's frogs, etc.)
Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you have to QT even if picking up from a well-known place? (saurian, Josh's frogs, etc.)
Thanks,
Will
It is a good idea to QT all new frogs. It helps you identify any sick frogs, helps you make sure they are all eating, and if anything goes wrong you don't have to tear down and sterilize an entire viv. It also makes it easier to collect for fecals.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes... QT from everywhere. Now I am pulling from my reef experience but I personally know several "vendors" on the reef side that were selling infected corals. So being that I am new. I am not sure what vendors are good and what vendors are bad. So it's better for me to QT everything.

I don't want to say that I never skipped a QT on the reef side of things. But I have many friends that accepted corals from people they trusted and soon lost entire collections because someone they trusted didn't know they were infected.

So in short, It's safer to QT everything every time.

-B

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I learned a few things from my first frogs and I haven't even had them a week.

The QT tank I have pictured earlier in the post was not as good as it looked.

When I placed the frogs in the tank they just stayed under the cups. I saw them on occasion but for the majority of the day they stayed hidden. So when I cleaned the tank. i added some pothos clippings (10% bleach soak for 10 minutes, rinsed off in the sink then 10 minute soak in ro/di water.)

Well today I came home and all four froglets were out and about. I had not seen all four out since I put them in the QT.

Pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes... QT from everywhere. Now I am pulling from my reef experience but I personally know several "vendors" on the reef side that were selling infected corals. So being that I am new. I am not sure what vendors are good and what vendors are bad. So it's better for me to QT everything.

I don't want to say that I never skipped a QT on the reef side of things. But I have many friends that accepted corals from people they trusted and soon lost entire collections because someone they trusted didn't know they were infected.

So in short, It's safer to QT everything every time.

-B
I hear ya on that. Also know plenty of friends that had lost stuff to not QT. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the first night I have seen them sleep outside of the cups.

So I think the plants really made a big difference in comfort level of the frogs.

-B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts