Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I just bought a couple Pumilio from Quality Exotics! Here's some quickly snapped pics:

So I thought the hugely fat one had to be a female..it looked just like some of the pictures I've seen on here of other people's females...and what does it start doing this morning? Call like crazy! Here's a little video clip I caught of it (about 4 mB):

http://www.msu.edu/~garlickn/Frog/pumcalling.MPG

Notice how the other frog is so close...it seems to me that this elicited the calling. However, the other frog didn't seem to pay attention to the first. This sort of thing has kind of been happening all day...the fat one calls when the skinny one gets close and the skinny one doesn't seem to care. What sort of indication is this of the skinny one's sex?

Anyway, enjoy! I'm excited!

-Niels

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow that is really cool. The throat on that guy is huge!! Hopefully that is a female behind him... It looks like she is saying, "Now I swear I can hear him somewhere, damn echoing glass terrarium!"
Thanks for sharing!!

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
Very true, no matter how rotund a Basti may be, it'll always shock you by calling. Chances may be good that you have a 1.1. In my situation, calling from one male usually encourages calling from other males. Unless the caller is a dominant male, in which case, if the other frog were to call, he might attempt to wrestle it to shut it up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I believe he posted pictures of his tank under the thread name of "new viv" in this same forum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, even though it would mean my guesses were totally off, I'd still be quite pleased if it was a pair. Update: after day 1, still no other signs of interaction. No aggression, no mating. So far so good, I guess :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts