Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been out of the dart frog game for a while, mostly because I had been moving around. But recently I set up a couple terrariums for something unrelated, and decided that I was ready to get back into it.

I've done my share of vivs, but I recently found myself pulling back from the typical style of sticking however many of whatever plants into it to make it seem fully planted and green. After my initial few setups, I just didn't feel natural to me.

So, I've come to this. I managed to snag a large, single cluster of N. 'fireball', which I intended to use as one piece. Unfortunately, some of the plants were hanging too low, and had to be removed (these are now on the left side of the viv). The rest are still connected via their stolons, suspended across a couple pieces of wood that protrude from the back of the tank (covered in moss). The bottom is just a thin layer of ABG mix over a false bottom, covered with a good layer of leaf litter.

The lighting is relatively bright (96W power compact), though I had to tone it down to get rid of the reflections from the plants. I have pair of Almirante pumilio that I'll be picking up on Saturday, which will join this viv after a week or so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I wish the glare wasn't so bad and I could get a good picture. Oh well. Tomorrow is the big day for picking up the frogs, so we'll see how that goes. The bromeliads are starting to color up a bit already, too, which is nice.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
YEa man that looks good.....I am sure the frogs will settle in nicely. O. pumilio 'Almirante' are pretty sweet. Will have to show some pics of the frogs when you get them, good luck with them, they CB? Or WC?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terrible thing to say, but I'm really not sure. I am going on the assumption of WC, though I'll be filling in all the details tomorrow when I get them. What I DO know is that they have been in captivity for a long time, and that it is a proven breeding pair (seller has some froglets from them currently, as well). I've only worked with pumilio in the past anyway, so it's definitely what I'm most comfortable with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got them in there about a week ago. The male is quite persistent with his calling. The female is a bit more shy, but is still out in the open quite a bit. So far so good. The broms are busy throwing out aerial roots, and the moss is growing in nicely. I've got some Hydrocotyle growing epiphytically in the moss, as well, which I'll try to get pictures of when it grows in a little.

I'm trying to keep the list of plants in here low, but I may add a tiny, mat-forming epiphytic orchid at some point. Perhaps Platystele or something similar.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts