Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are two of the most culturally significant plants in Peru.
Banisteropsis caapi, and Psychotria viridis

A bit beat up because they are right out of the box in this pic, but They are springing back fast and throwing new growth

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A quick online search tells me that these plants will quickly out grow a vivarium, but may have other uses.

Reactions: andyrawrs

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can grow them outside almost all year here! They WILL get very large eventually. I have no plans to use them in their traditional sense, I just like to have them. I have some Peruvian cacti with a similar cultural history as well

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sources for both can be found by googling.

I've considered growing these for their interesting history, but decided against it as I wasn't sure if they would make good ornamentals. You should keep us updated. It would be interesting to see how they grow in cultivation.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Actually I have found that many Psychotria make great terrarium plants as long as it's a pretty high tank. I have a new species from Panama that so far is slow growing and more like a forest floor weed....you can just cut them back and they will make new shorts.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

So if I understood, these are not going to be used in a biotope but rather grown outdoors?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm considering a 36" tall Viv, so I'd put the Psychotria in for sure. I'd definitely have to eventually cut the Banisteropsis waaaay back, it turns into a HUGE liana.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is this your first biotope? I've never tried building one. What about Peru interested you? OK, end of questions. A three foot tall Peruvian viv should be epic!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well most Ranitomeya are Peruvian, I have access to a lot of Peruvian orchids, etc etc etc

·
Registered
713 Posts
Jealous. :) I may have to hit you up for an orchid package down the road.

I subscribed so I can watch this biotope grow.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the vanilla so my puke tastes better on the way back up?
I don't recreationally ingest alkaloids anymore. But as a botany nut how can you resist plants with such rich history? I've got morning glories that produce LSA in addition to the cacti and these plants. I have a "Colombian rhododendron" coming to me soon too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts