Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a great corner tank today. I haven't measured it out yet, but I believe it's a 44 gallon pentagon. I got the tank plus stand for $100. Not bad at all. I was in the development of a wooden viv, but decided my plans were too ambitious for right now. We're looking to move in the next year or so, and trying to move a 100 gallon wooden setup is not such a good idea. So I'll wait until after the move for that dream.

Here is the raw slate.

So far, I'm undecided of a layout. I do plan to convert this to a front opening setup, so the first step is to remove the front glass.

I will incorporate a water feature, probably a waterfall into a small pond, layout diagrams to follow. Another feature I'm interested in adding are a few fake fireflies. I know there are a few that have done this, so I'll probably just emulate them.

Oh, and my goal is to put some leucs in here. I've not had them before and am interested in their social behaviors compare to what I've had previously (azureus, auratus, imitators).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went back and forth with what to do with the top trim. Until about an hour ago, I was intending to remove it all and just build a replacement. I ended up just cutting out the frame of just the one piece. Once I've cut the door pieces, I'll silicone it back in place, sand it all down, and repaint the trim.

I picked up all the plants except the ones in the fish bowl over the weekend. All the potted plants were $2.99 each, and the two air plants were $3.99 each.

Now comes the tricky part, cutting that front pane of glass into 3 pieces. I've never cut glass before, so wish me luck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to follow how most cut the glass. Get a glass cutter tool from Home Depot, score a straight line across the glass, tap a few times, then snap it. I'll probably cut it tonight and will post pics.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The glass is cut. I was hesitant to cut it with my clutsy luck, but it came off great. One concern I did have was if it was tempered glass or not. How to tell if glass is tempered. There is no identifying features to know the builder, so I searched for other ways to identify tempered glass and came across this post about using an LCD screen and a polarized filter. I check it out, and it didn't appear tempered so I went for it. Easy as pie. Some measuring, a few quick cuts, and snap, it was done.

Here is the bottom and top pieces place back (not siliconed yet, just showing the dimensions).

And a side view.

A few days ago, I picked up this little guy from Markw, who sold off his collection due to an international trip. He found this guy while cleaning up and had no way to care for it. I also picked up a nice 12x12x18 Zoomed tank and some supplies. I'll be posting that build in a separate thread though. The froglet will eventually go into the Zoomed setup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's looking sweet man can't wait for you to get it planted. Also it's great to know someone picked that little guy up and now has a permanent new home.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How will you create the to this?
I'm assuming you meant how do I plan to create the door?

To be honest, I'm not sure just yet. I've got three options running through my head.

1. A side hinged door using acrylic piano hinges and epoxy. If I use a full length hinge, it should hold up fine with a strong epoxy. The downside, it if doesn't work, it will be hell trying to get the epoxy off the glass.

2. A living hinge. This would be the easiest. I've done them before on 10 gallon verts. The downside is the open outward and I'd need to hold the glass stead while it's open.

3. A sliding track system. This is the method I'm leaning towards the most. Look up how to make a sliding front door. It uses a track on the top and the bottom that the glass slides into. Since I'm not doing a double slide, it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not thinking of it sliding left or right, rather a lift up and out. Hard to explain, but if you're familiar with how to get the doors into a sliding system, you should get an idea.

Since I have the other tank, and a froglet to care for, I'm going to focus on setting that one up first. Then I'll come back to building this. The door will probably be one of the last components to be finished though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No progress yet. I've got a quick question about vents though. I'm looking to put two vents above the drill, and two at the top of each side. My question is how best to drill the sides. Should the drilled glass be on the floor with a towel or foam underneath, or can I lay it so that the drill piece is on the top? Also, is a High Carbon Steel Hole Saw Drill Bit for wood the one to use?

·
Registered
146 Posts
you dont want to use that hole saw.. it takes one with diamond chips imbedded in it to cut glass... you will most likely break the glass with a wood hole saw...
Larry

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I realized that immediately after posting. I was looking online at bits from The Home Depot and Lowes and that was the closest I could find. Do they typically stock a diamond bit in store, or should I be looking elsewhere? About how much should I expect for a 1 1/2" bit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
They normally carry them at Home Depot, ask a tool guy if ya cant find them. Or you can order them from ebay for substantially less.

TN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm assuming you meant how do I plan to create the door?

1. A side hinged door using acrylic piano hinges and epoxy. If I use a full length hinge, it should hold up fine with a strong epoxy. The downside, it if doesn't work, it will be hell trying to get the epoxy off the glass.
I think a hinge would probably be the easiest. Actually removing and replacing your door every time you wanted to reach into your tank could get tiresome.

I wouldn't stress too much about the epoxy- while it may not be exactly easy to remove, I would think some soaking with a solvent (I think acetone is supposed to work with epoxy, but I'm not certain) and scraping with a razor should take care of it.

Also check what they have at the local plastics supplier, or do a google search for glass hinges, you may be able to find some that would work well with your design, and not be too expensive.

Should turn out nice, good luck, and please keep posting pics as you progress.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. It's a slow progress right now. I don't have much time to work on it. I also don't want to rush it. I'll post as I go though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday I got in a 2pc Diamond hole saw (
) with 1" and 1/2" sizes. Tonight or tomorrow I plan to drill 6 holes (2 on each of the front panes) at the top, and possibly a couple in the back sides for pump power supply. I have a feeling the 1" hole will be too small for the power cord though. I guess I could always splice the cord to make it work.

Once the holes are completed, then I can reinstall the front pane door and begin building the interior. Pics to come soon!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I drilled vent holes yesterday. This was my first time drilling and it came out decent. The back sides didn't come so smooth though. Some chipping. I took my time and ran the drill at a medium speed with plenty of water and pauses, as suggested by others. What causes this chipping and how can I avoid it in the future?

I'll be re-attaching the top piece and re-sealing the tank this weekend.
Chips in the hole:

Re-positioned the front pane pieces.

Blanket to cover up the dirtiness of the back. It still needs a thorough cleaning of the glass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts