Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all: I am going to be setting up a new paludarium. This is going to be the first time I will be using GS and making a background. Could I use the 1/2 pink/foam insulation board (home depot sells)to make my background? I would apply the GS and cocofiber to the insulation board (rather than the glass tank)and then silicone the board onto the back wall. Does this make sense? I am just concerned about working on the tank itself in event it did not turn out as I wanted, I would not have to take it off the glass tank. Also, I know I cannot have the foam submerged in water any suggestions for what I could put on the bottom that could withstand the water? Thank you in advance for your help with this!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Greetings all: I am going to be setting up a new paludarium. This is going to be the first time I will be using GS and making a background. Could I use the 1/2 pink/foam insulation board (home depot sells)to make my background? I would apply the GS and cocofiber to the insulation board (rather than the glass tank)and then silicone the board onto the back wall. Does this make sense? I am just concerned about working on the tank itself in event it did not turn out as I wanted, I would not have to take it off the glass tank. Also,I know I cannot have the foam submerged in water any suggestionsforwhat I could put on the bottom that could withstand the water? Thank you in advance for your help with this!
Yes you can use the pink board. Mostly ppl use this method when they want to work on the bg outside of the tank or when they want to easily remove the background. As far as GS stuff is concerned its ok to submerged it under water its what you cover it with that's the issue. For the portion that would be completely submerged I would suggest Titebond III because it is waterproof. Also there is a sprayfoam for ponds and underwater applications. It's black in color. If you decide to use titebond just mix it with peat or whatever you want to cover the GS with and then using your GLOVED hand rub apply it to the GS. It takes about a week to dry completely but it will be very hard when it does and waterproof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks diggenem! That sounds like a good plan. Can you get that Titebond III at a Home Depot or Lowe's?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Judy, yes, I suppose I could use dry lock. My plan would be to use silicone (over the GS) for the upper part (not in the water) and cover the silicone with coco fiber/peat. For the bottom part that would be submerged would the coco fiber/peat hold up submerged in water (mixed in with the dry lock or Titebond for that matter). Thank you in advance for your help with this!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes you can get titebond at both HD and Lowes. I think Wally World (walmart) sells it too. There are 3 different kinds of it. You want Titebond III because it is water proof. It has a green label.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Certain types of peat will hold up great underwater

Judy, yes, I suppose I could use dry lock. My plan would be to use silicone (over the GS) for the upper part (not in the water) and cover the silicone with coco fiber/peat. For the bottom part that would be submerged would the coco fiber/peat hold up submerged in water (mixed in with the dry lock or Titebond for that matter). Thank you in advance for your help with this!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question...would the foam board hold up under water if I used dry lock or tite bond III to cover it? I will be having fish in this system so if it would dissolve over time I would not want to use it submerged. Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts