Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gaining great interest (read: OBSESSION) with orchids as of late, and in talking with Justin Yeager about it, I've decided to make an orchidarium. This really is a practice one essentially for a couple of much larger ones in the future (after I move to Mississippi).

I got all of the orchids from Rob (Little Frog Farm). I definitely got more than I planned, but it's hard to go to a greenhouse full of orchids and not go a little overboard. I'm glad I had a set amount of money in my wallet or I very well could have, and would have, walked away with a great deal more.

For the most part, I kept this to Central/South American genera (there as some hybrids), although a couple do not fit that. When I make the big vivs, it will be all species and specific to a particular region.

Given that I am going to move soon, I wanted to make this viv as light as possible, so the only real weight to it is the wood.

I glued the wood using silicone

Followed by placement of fake rocks which I carved out of high density foam and then sanded into the shapes that I wanted.

I painted the rocks with DryLoc, which I colored gray. I followed with a watered down coat of black acrylic paint so that the bumps and such would be highlighted.

I covered the whole back with some watered down silicone (using mineral spirits) and then stuck the rocks in. From there, I was able to fill in the cracks with coco fiber. I didn't really like how it didn't fill in as much as I would have liked, so I mixed silicone, coco fiber, and mineral spirits to have a thicker mixture of coco fiber which I used to fill in the cracks.

The following are the different species of orchids that I got from Rob.

This was the only species of orchid that was not new world. It's a Comoros Island species.

And the final product. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I have a couple other plants to put in (a couple of shinglers). The other plants in there are two broms, Neo. Rien's Pride (from Rob) and Neo. Shamrock, Cissus amazonicus, and Philodendron "Panama" from JoshH.

I don't plan to put in any more plants beyond those couple shinglers, so the ground is going to be very open. The nice thing is that the wood on left or right create little caves, and then I have the coco hut in there. I imagine that I'll put a pair or trio of leucs in this one.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
JP, I can't tell from the pictures, but you might want to add a fan to provide some air movement in the tank. Most orchids typically don't do well with stagnant air, one exception is some of the Pleurothallid Alliance though. Also, the Tolumnia and the other terete leaved Oncidium hybrid (Zlm I think is what the tag says) like as much light as you can give. Other than that, the tank looks great!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, already on that. I have two computer fans running on the tank, so it should be well ventilated. It has a completely sealed top, but with the fans, I think that there is enough movement to dry them out enough to keep them happy.

I have a fairly bright light and have planted the Oncidium and Tolumnia near the top, so they should do well!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The orchid addiction is a rough habit to quit...good thing I NEVER WANT TO!!!! Nice selection ya got there, if you're ever wanting some cooler Restrepias, drop me a line, I have 16 species, and a bunch of Bulbophyllums that will do great

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
^ ^

My dealer. He gave me sample of his wares and I kept coming back.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
hahahaha! the 1st ones free....just the first one!!! Ryan, I have some sweet keikis of R. elegans, R trichoglossa, another R. brachypus clone, and maybe an R. iris I can send your way if you want.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, I will keep you in mind for some Restrepias. My plan at the moment is to make two BIG vivaria at some point in the future. I'd like to do a Borneo biotope, so the bulbophyllums may be good for that, and I would like to do an Amazon or Costa Rica/Panama biotope, which may be good for the Restrepias. I may hold off on the Amazon biotope and do a nice, big paludarium with that.

Too many projects not enough time/money... I'm hoping orchidariums start paying for themselves with clippings and all...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
looking good, your off to a great start ! Always good to have other froggers growing orchids that are willing to trade orchids for orchids :) Keep me posted when you start getting divisions!

ed parker

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Ive got B. cocoinum that has a really compact growth habit while having a cool pendulous inflorescense, would look good between those rocks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts