Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Please have a look at www.savethefrogs.com/ghana, the website of the first of what will soon be many international SAVE THE FROGS! branches. Your support will go a long way toward protecting amphibians in one of the world's poorest and most exploited regions.

Thanks,
Kerry Kriger, Ph.D.
SAVE THE FROGS! Founder, Executive Director & Ecologist
Kerry Kriger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Isn't Ghana rather well off , both politically and economically, by African standards?
As far as some parts of Africa you are correct. But if you go to their site and read about their cause its more just educating people about the harm they might cause to hurt the disappearing amphibians.

There is this whole section in there that says you can buy toxic fertilizers on street corners! Of course they need improvements in Agriculture but easy access to chemicals is not the solution!

I'm all for it, I'm about to buy a shirt right now

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
As far as some parts of Africa you are correct. But if you go to their site and read about their cause its more just educating people about the harm they might cause to hurt the disappearing amphibians.

There is this whole section in there that says you can buy toxic fertilizers on street corners! Of course they need improvements in Agriculture but easy access to chemicals is not the solution!

I'm all for it, I'm about to buy a shirt right now
While it's cool to want to save amphibians, and such, I Just thought it was weird to describe Ghana as "one of the world's poorest and most exploited regions". But he could have been talking about Africa as a whole, I guess

And as far as issues in Africa, I think amphibian protection is rather low on the lists of things that would earn my interest, and can prove rather ineffective while other regional issues are allowed to fester (corruption is a big one here)

PS I think Atrazine is still used in the US, and rather popular globally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
And this is the guy who publicly states that he wants no frogs in captivity. It is a lobbyist group. Supporting him and his group is like supporting HSUS and Peta. Why not just give your frogs away and save your money, cut out the middleman!
I did not know that, it doesn't say anywhere on their website. I just assumed that if you want them saved you would support any conservation including captive raising of frogs. I'm thinkin twice about the shirt now...

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can only assume that the donations are not pouring in for Kriger to come solicit money from people on here that he must despise.

DR. Kriger, why don't you just drop the veil and join up with PETA? They have lots of money and power....that way you wouldn't have to beg for money from the evil frog breeders/hobbyist.

Save the Frogs! exposed | Facebook

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rob,

You would have to dig for info on 'Save The Frogs Exposed' or on preivous threads "The Krige" posted here on DB but he stated that he does not support the frog hobby, that he thinks its wrong for us to keep frogs in tiny glass boxes, and that the frogs will never fulfil their dreams in captivity.

I did not know that, it doesn't say anywhere on their website. I just assumed that if you want them saved you would support any conservation including captive raising of frogs. I'm thinkin twice about the shirt now...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bill you are so right I found this quote on there:

Kerry Kriger
So I was watching Whale Wars, my favorite TV show, and I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the Japanese whalers (who claim that their whale killing is really scientific research) and the pet frog vendors who run this FB page (who claim they buy and sell frogs in the name of conservation).

It almost made me sick....F that webpage and that guy! They kill whales and we raise frogs how is that similar at all. I'm pretty sure that guy smokes crack.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Bill you are so right I found this quote on there:

Kerry Kriger
So I was watching Whale Wars, my favorite TV show, and I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the Japanese whalers (who claim that their whale killing is really scientific research) and the pet frog vendors who run this FB page (who claim they buy and sell frogs in the name of conservation).

It almost made me sick....F that webpage and that guy! They kill whales and we raise frogs how is that similar at all. I'm pretty sure that guy smokes crack.
I todays world we must scrutenize every person or group asking for donations. We must dig beneath the surface scab layer in many cases to get to the pus and deceit below, dig deep before giving!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I can see why the OP would think that this thread involves frog conservation. Given the reponses here from the Db member, I would think the thread would be better served stuck down in the bowels of the "Thunderdome".

That way, people can say what the want (even if it is libelous) and I don't have to read the many many rants (and many more to come) about organizations I support.

Thanks to the staff moderators, Richard.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I can see why the OP would think that this thread involves frog conservation. Given the reponses here from the Db member, I would think the thread would be better served stuck down in the bowels of the "Thunderdome".

That way, people can say what the want (even if it is libelous) and I don't have to read the many many rants (and many more to come) about organizations I support.

Thanks to the staff moderators, Richard.
what are you actually complaining about, that people don't like the organization and have voiced that opinion?

Seems kind of an odd thing to complain about on a discussion forum

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I don't actually think you are looking for an answer with all your questioning. You have found yet another pot to stir, good for you.

Richard. (By the way, what is your name and what kinds of frogs do you keep? This is a discussion board for people who exist in the real world and actually care about the frogs we are talking about).

what are you actually complaining about, that people don't like the organization and have voiced that opinion?

Seems kind of an odd thing to complain about on a discussion forum

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't actually think you are looking for an answer with all your questioning. You have found yet another pot to stir, good for you.

Richard. (By the way, what is your name and what kinds of frogs do you keep? This is a discussion board for people who exist in the real world and actually care about the frogs we are talking about).
Richard, my involvement in this thread is my opinion based on facts and his own words in print, which tells me what I need to know to form my opinion, It is not directed towards you. In reality, if you don't want to see what ends up on this thread do not click on it, I think wherever it is this thread will be too tempting for you to not look at, would'nt you aggree?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Bill,

I think expressing opinons about a post made specifically by the person in question is fine. Having a giant pile-on on anyone posting outside the "Thunderdome" is just rude. All I was suggesting is that people are going to have (let's call them) strong opinions about this subject and would be btter off placed in the "Thunderdome".

All I can do is hope that my point of view is reviewed by the moderators here and that they make the decision as to the civility of the thread.

Take care, Richard.

Richard, my involvement in this thread is my opinion based on facts and his own words in print, which tells me what I need to know to form my opinion, It is not directed towards you. In reality, if you don't want to see what ends up on this thread do not click on it, I think wherever it is this thread will be too tempting for you to not look at, would'nt you aggree?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Richard - I generally agree with you on this type of thing.

On the other hand - this guy is coming on "our" turf - and trying to extract money from "our" members - and in no way supports what "we" do.

He's got it coming.

s
If I may be so bold as to add to Scotts response here, how many times has he tried this, and he gets his ass kicked every time. It`s like those damn religious door knockers...they go away for awhile but they always return.

John

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Bill, Scott, and the others with similar opinions, I agree completely. However, you're all missing out on one very important point, which that attention-seeking gnat has hoodwinked you on - all publicity is good publicity, particularly when you want your "organization's" name to spread. I use the term organization very loosely. Which raises an interesting point: Does one moron constitute an organization?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts