Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know a ton of you guys use MistKing systems. We feel that our weak spot in our system was the timer as we have had more returns than we would have liked. Since we try to listen to customer feedbacks we could not ignore what we were hearing. Don't get us too wrong, majority of the existing timers when they worked were the best thing that was out there and would allow you to control your misitng systems per second, you were also free to program it at whatever times you wanted.

Aside from the features that we wanted to see in our ideal timer, the old timers would be susceptible to power spikes and since we never wanted to leave customers hanging and pissed at us, we would replace any failures with replacements. Many times if there was a massive storm somewhere we knew that due to the power bumps we would probably hear that some customers would suffer timer damage..sigh! Well, we created 3 new timers based on customer feedback and our "would be nice to have" list. We also made them with more robust components that should weather the storm better.

Best thing is that each timer can be easily used with any existing MistKing system purchased in the last few years. The new seconds timer is also a part of the new ver4 misting systems.

Timers now have a remote backlit control panel that allows you to program the system, manually run it without affecting any of the programs. ST-24 and HT-24 are perfectly suited for vivarium hobby and the RCT-24 is more for aeroponic and growing applications.

Seconds Timer ST-24 - Unique Schedules
Learn More

Hygrostat Thermometer HT-24 - Maintain set humidity
Learn More

Repeat Cycle Timer RCT-24 - repeating cycles
Learn More

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hey, that looks great.

Is this an additional option. Or will it be included in the complete systems?

I'm planning on purchasing a system in a few days and would like this timer. Do i order the system (that comes with the standard timer) and then have to additionally order this? Or is there an option to negate the old timer and get this unit as an "upgrade" , probably with a pricing difference between the 2 timers. ?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Should I be worried about my timer on my mistking? My system is about 18 months old.

Loading bowls and building vivs! Braaap!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Marty, on your Mistking.com page, there is a bold red box that states these timers are only compatible with mistking misting systems and not to use with others.

I've been in the hobby for over 20 years, and while the vast majority of my pumps and nozzles are mistking, I also have promist pumps and some other no-name stuff, all 120v.

Can you tell me how/why this timer would not work with other pumps that are +/- very similar you your pumps?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Correct, thanks Tom :)

standard timer in the updated systems is the ST-24, if you wish to get a different one with a system just select that option from the right hand side
The new timers seem awesome, but I'm slightly unclear on whether or not the rct-24 and HT have all the same basic functionality of the St-24, and just add features on top of that basic functionality, or if their workings are different enough that there is something the st-24 could do that the rct and ht couldn't???

Also sent you a PM about another matter ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a starter system with the seconds timer coming in next tuesday. I will post when it comes.

I wanted the ht system but I need it to mist 2 tanks

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I have a starter system with the seconds timer coming in next tuesday. I will post when it comes.

If your vivs are of similar design, with similar lightjng, similar degree of venting and in the same room I would think the the conditions would be similar enough that the HT could in theory run both... maybe even an entire rack of vivs. I'm interested to hear Marty's thoughts on that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If your vivs are of similar design, with similar lightjng, similar degree of venting and in the same room I would think the the conditions would be similar enough that the HT could in theory run both... maybe even an entire rack of vivs. I'm interested to hear Marty's thoughts on that.
I agree if the tanks were identical. I have a 24x18x24 and a 12x12x18 so not exactly similar in size.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I agree if the tanks were identical. I have a 24x18x24 and a 12x12x18 so not exactly similar in size.
My guess is that size won't be as important as how similar they are in the amount of venting and drainage they have. The conditions in each tank won't be exactly the same but, unless the vivs are of substantially of different design, I would think they'd be close enough. The biggest danger would be setting the probe in a tank that has significantly more trouble holding humidity. Then you might find using that viv as your base line/ control viv causes the system to run way to often.

So picking the right viv to out the probe in would be important, and probably not something a novice should attempt.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should I be worried about my timer on my mistking? My system is about 18 months old.

Not really, unless you're on a very unstable grid that has constant bumps. Nevertheless you can replace the timer any time and use the old one for lights or anything else you wish.

Marty, on your Mistking.com page, there is a bold red box that states these timers are only compatible with mistking misting systems and not to use with others.

I've been in the hobby for over 20 years, and while the vast majority of my pumps and nozzles are mistking, I also have promist pumps and some other no-name stuff, all 120v.

Can you tell me how/why this timer would not work with other pumps that are +/- very similar you your pumps?
I can't guarantee that it will work with anything else out there. I know it works with our systems perfectly. Not sure of other's plugs, voltages, amprages, power supplies etc. Just because the plug may fit, doesn't mean that the relay will reliably be able to trigger the events. It's just something I don't want to bother with nor support, when the red box

The new timers seem awesome, but I'm slightly unclear on whether or not the rct-24 and HT have all the same basic functionality of the St-24, and just add features on top of that basic functionality, or if their workings are different enough that there is something the st-24 could do that the rct and ht couldn't???

Also sent you a PM about another matter ;)
No, all 3 are totally different with their own boards and logic and function. What ST-24 does the others don't and vice versa. I think seconds timer and humidity timers can be used in our hobby and the RCT-24 more for the aeroponic growers.

Be sure to post, I'd love to hear your feedback! Just remember, we changed the function from the old timer. Old timer you program ON time and OFF time. I already had few instances that people did the same on the new timer. Remember that on the new timers you do ON Time (like before) and DURATION...so set the 2nd number in the program to 45 sec (not 9:45:30 - nine hrs, fourty five minutes of misting :)

absolutely you can do that. Unless you're in a lab environment that requires precise values, it really does not matter if you have 80% humidity or 95%. Just make sure you don't put a humidity probe in your cactus tank and the 2nd tank is with your lehmanis :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Be sure to post, I'd love to hear your feedback! Just remember, we changed the function from the old timer. Old timer you program ON time and OFF time. I already had few instances that people did the same on the new timer. Remember that on the new timers you do ON Time (like before) and DURATION...so set the 2nd number in the program to 45 sec (not 9:45:30 - nine hrs, fourty five minutes of misting :)

absolutely you can do that. Unless you're in a lab environment that requires precise values, it really does not matter if you have 80% humidity or 95%. Just make sure you don't put a humidity probe in your cactus tank and the 2nd tank is with your lehmanis :)

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to set the timer accordingly. It will be my first mistking system as I am new to the hobby so I'm excited. I will post my progress!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Fantastic! No bumps in the road ever, I'll keep grinding away. Thanks Marty!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Those new timers look awesome Marty. I think you did a great job with them.

I've been curious is the hygrostat sensor able to be disconnected so we can feed the wire into a small drilled hole instead of having to drill a huge hole to fit it through?

If not that would be an awesome feature.
I really want that timer so it just turns on my system when needed but really don't wanna have to drill a huge hole or run wires through the front of the tank, etc.

Also I was just thinking as long as you have all tropical setups with the same needs you really only need the sensor in just one of the vivariums, right?
Since most systems run numerous vivariums and there is only 1 sensor you could just put the sensor is say your most prominent vivarium and the others will just get the same misting regime?
Seems like that would work to some extent

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No they cannot be disconnected. This is a feature I've been thinking of myself as well. Perhaps the next version will be upgraded :)

You got it with the vivs, as long as they're all the same it should work fine

I've been curious is the hygrostat sensor able to be disconnected so we can feed the wire into a small drilled hole instead of having to drill a huge hole to fit it through?

I really want that timer so it just turns on my system when needed but really don't wanna have to drill a huge hole or run wires through the front of the tank, etc.

Also I was just thinking as long as you have all tropical setups with the same needs you really only need the sensor in just one of the vivariums, right?
Since most systems run numerous vivariums and there is only 1 sensor you could just put the sensor is say your most prominent vivarium and the others will just get the same misting regime?
Seems like that would work to some extent

·
Registered
843 Posts
You should do one of these threads for your LED's... Personally I know they are amazing but I don't think that that is common knowledge.

·
Registered
987 Posts

I just received the seconds timer and was hoping the same thing, as I was going to mount the display on the front of my stand but will have to drill a large hole instead of a small one. Also, I should have checked, but I have the older silver sticker pump and the new timer has different connectors. Hopefully, I can just take the wires out and splice together. Love the looks of the new timer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts