Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, against my better judgment, I impulse bought a USB microscope/camera on buy.com for $25 the other day...

It came in the mail, and after searching for a few minutes to get decent drivers for it online, I decided to test it out snapping some photos of some eggs I had developing...

The resolution gets much higher, but i haven't played with all of the settings yet... first glance at 640x480, the pictures are pretty cool! Definitely not a scientific tool, but it's a fun toy.

In the future, I'll figure out a better way to light it than using the on board LEDs so I don't get so much glare in the egg jelly. also, focusing is difficult because you have to hold on to the microscope while you twist a wheel that is super stiff...

-brett

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took some more photos today... and a quick video. Just found these Alanis tinc eggs this morning :D ... They have laid about 3 or 4 clutches so far, but no survivors to tadhood just yet. Hopefully these guys get there!

Hope you enjoy,
Brett

This guy's gills are just developing

Next two images are a comparison of what they look like w/ natural light (first) vs. the camera's on-board LEDs (second). If anyone has a good idea for a better way for me to light these images without getting glare, I'm all ears!

Here's a still image of the movie star

Here's the video. Try not to let the out-of-focus springtail wandering around on top of the eggs distract you! It's really amazing to watch the gills move as the guy on the right breathes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cool pictures!
You can pick up a cheap photography light box at Walmart for $40-50 I think.

It's just a cube with light diffusing fabric on 5 sides and two lights. I built my own and used shop lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts