Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Bruce and I am about to begin my first dart frog adventure! I am going to construct a vivarium, can anyone recommend a good thread for a first timer on a step by step construction.

any help is appreciated :)

Bruce

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi my name is Bruce and I am about to begin my first dart frog adventure! I am going to construct a vivarium, can anyone recommend a good thread for a first timer on a step by step construction.

any help is appreciated :)

Bruce
What are you looking to house. Its always best to pick the frog first and build around the frog instead of building first and putting a frog that isnt right for the viv;)

I recommend Dendrobate Leucomelas or Auratus for first timers and good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go slow and take your time. I have been working on my first viv for over a month now and am only half way done. The posibilities are endless and you will probably change your mind a few times. Best advice, plan ahead. Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to keep dart frogs, I have a 55 gallon tank that I am using for the vivarium.

Is anyone aware of a thread or site I can access for step by step instructions on the background and the construction of a waterfall. I am a bit confused as to how to set up the drainage for the water and to use a canister filter to keep the water clean.

In other words I know nothing about setting up a dart frog vivarium.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would say its all on your budget. I glued a piece of pvc on the top part of my egg crate and found a pvc cap @ lowes. I cut a hole thru the EC and covered the PVC with leaf litter. When i want to drain the water i can just lift the cap and use my wet/dry vaca. My best invention lol. Make sure you have a way to get out the water thats the main thing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ahah i did the exact same thing.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best thing to do is look at the construction forum and see what other people are doing. Get ideas and run with one, that is what I have been doing. Lots of good advice and some really nice vivs on this site.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hi, welcome to dart frogs.
For backgrounds, there are several methods, such as grout/rock wall, clay, great stuff/ peat moss, cork bark, etc. Pick one and then there is most likely a thread or a few threads with pictures and info on how to build them. Check out the construction section on here to see some examples of builds.
As far as waterfalls, if you are new I would honestly just skip them- the frogs do not need them, and often times they end up being more hassle than they are worth or an inefficient use of space that is not used much by the frogs.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
What I did was go way back to the beginning of the threads in the construction area and then read, read, read up to present. Lots of very good ideas. Some not so good. I think it's worth looking through it to see what will work for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts