Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this vivarium has a pcv tube goinig into the bottom so I can siphon out the water once a month (meanwhile it is covered with a sponge). layers....gravel, window screen, coco fiber soil mix, and moss. Now
i need to monitor the temp and humidity to make sure it will be proper for its future inhabitants. 68 to 75 degrees is the range for mantellas. Now I just need some plants that will do well without any artificial light.....humm

What does everyone think, am I in buisness?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plants.....

k i am getting some english ivy ready to plant in there. I am going to get a couple peices of cork bark. I need some ideas for really simple plant, any suggestions. i have no artificial lighting

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you sure that terrarium is larger than 10 gallons? It looks about the size of those gumball machines. Do you have the measurements or diameter of it?

Hopefully it wont overheat either with such little ventilation.

Good luck,
M.N

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pothos is about as easy and cheap as they come. It is hard to kill pothos even if you are trying to. Take a look around next time you go out to eat in a dimly lit restaurant... most likely the plants they are growing are a variety of pothos. No artificial light needed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is the formula.
pi(3.14) times the radius squared
in this case the radius is 8.25 (1/2 diameter=radius) and pi is 3.14
so 8.25 * 8.25=68.06
68.03 * 3.14=213.7
it is almost 214 sq. inches. That is a little bit bigger than a 10 gal.

Someone on kingsnake.com helped me with that

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No offense, but volume would be defined in cubic inches.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did not do the equation; i just took it for granted. Is it wrong I have no clue. it is 16.5 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
sixteen inches sounds fine any way Yeah id say go with some pothos and maybe dieffenbachia (sp). Other than that id say maybe just place it under a shelf and hook a light under the shelf. that way it can still be in full display, but have a hidden source of light. because if you got a brom in there and something cool like a jewel orchid that would be a sweet viv

·
Registered
369 Posts
Vloume of a sphere = 4/3(~3.142)r^3
in your case ~2352 in^3

A ten gallon aquarium (19x12x12 is that right?)(assuming that is right) is ~2736 in^3

for what its worth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
well i heard that too after i had an unidentified dieff species in my tank with my trivattitus for about 6 months so i guess i dont really know, i was just trying to name some easy plants

1 - 12 of 12 Posts