Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here with a pressing question/concern. I was given two grow-a-frogs 26 years ago in Nov. I lost one this summer in August but the other is still here (lonely I suspect). He has been fine, eating well, but this morning I noticed his bulging filmy eyes --like a plastic dome over them. Photo attached. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I am so worried. Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I live in Mass. My remaining frog, The Colonel, is active etc. But this morning I woke up to those eyes!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
That looks like an African clawed frog. As an aquatic species I believe cloudy eyes are usually a sign of bacterial infection. That said, they tend to live somewhere between 15 to 20 years so you may just be reaching the end of his life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this...the Web site lists him as a Pipidae frog. I know he's lived beyond his years but he still seems so active.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know. I was hoping to have two 26-year-old frogs this November...I'm glad at least he's here

·
Registered
10 Posts
My grow-a-frog didn't live past 10, that's amazing! I was reading cloudy eyes often occur in older frogs so it might just be his age. Mine used to get a brief cloud over his eyes during a shed but, if this looks new for you, that must not be the reason then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this info...You know, if they were cloudy I wouldn't be so alarmed. But it's as though there are domes over his eyes...I heard of a grow a frog living into early 20s. I am grateful The Colonel is still around....

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Welcome to board, Debbie. I am sorry you are having this trouble with your frog. Unfortunately, I know nothing that will help the Colonel.

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My grow-a-frog didn't live past 10, that's amazing! I was reading cloudy eyes often occur in older frogs so it might just be his age. Mine used to get a brief cloud over his eyes during a shed but, if this looks new for you, that must not be the reason then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every year, I marveled they were still here and even though I knew they were so old, I was still shocked with Arthur died this summer.....The cloud would be one thing. Is the fact that it looks like a plastic dome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every year, I marveled they were still here and even though I knew they were so old, I was still shocked with Arthur died this summer.....The cloud would be one thing. Is the fact that it looks like a plastic dome!
Yes, the dome is definitely strange! I've seen it in fish and it's often due to poor water conditions but I don't know if it's fair to make that comparison with a frog (especially since those frogs are hardy against pretty harsh water). Sorry I can't be of more help. Hoping the Colonel gets better soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts