Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! I have recently bought my first two darts and they live in a planted vivarium. I was wondering the best way of planting bromeliads and vines to the wall of the tank? I have an exoterra 18x18x24 that they live in with the rock? Looking background. lots of ground cover but wanted to plant some real plants on the wall...how do I do this? thanks all! Excited to be a member and a new froggie momma! :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.233789,-80.964977

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Welcome!

I put my broms on the background by making a cradle out of a couple of toothpicks and resting the base of the brom in the cradle. Sometimes I use wire, like a paperclip shaped into a U, to secure it. Vines can be done the same way.

There is lots of good brom info in the Plant section. Take a look around. :)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Nope! I take them out of their pots, rinse off the dirt, cut off all the roots, soak them in bleach water to get rid of any cooties, rinse really, really well with a final soak in dechlorinated water. Then I let them sit and air out at least over night.

The roots are primarily for stablizing the plant. Secure the brom, rootless, in the tank and new roots will grow and grab on to stuff.

This is how I do it. I am not a plant expert :D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
next time around put the plants in before the frogs, and yes there will be a next time as you will find one tank isn't enough. if you leave them in the tank while planting just make sure of their locations while doing so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like to mount them at an angle off the wall (leaning into the middle of the tank and not straight up). I find that wire and toothpicks work well for vertical placement, but when at an angle they are not secure enough. If the Brom wiggles, the roots may never take to the background. So what I do is make a small hole in the GS for the stollon (sp?), the hard stick like end of the plant where it was attached to its parent. I apply some Gorilla Glue (just a drop) to the stollon and poke it in the hole. Secure it with wire until the glue sets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts